Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to my first ASA 3D shoot and I was surprised to see that practically all the pros were shooting aluminum arrows instead of carbons. I would have thought that because of the weight and flatter trajectory that they would have prefered the carbons over the aluminums. Is this because of more a consistant spine with aluminums, where as the carbons don't have as good as spine consistancy? It can't be because of shaft thickness since they could simply go to the Linejammers or the CXL's.

·
74,535 Posts
Pros

Most of my friends that are pros are complety satisfiad by aluminums and feel they fly better.

I like carbons because they last longer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Aluminums are more consistent with weight, spine and straightness compared to carbons. With todays bows, most guys can get the speed they need with aluminums, and since they are a bit cheaper, I guess that's why they shoot em. Pro's can shoot anything they want, but I think it's the consistency that they like.
Plus there's a lot more sizes of alum's than carbons, so they can fine tune their equipment better.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Can anyone say "linecutters"! That's the reason most guys I know use aluminums for 3D. With today's bows guys can still get 280+ fps using a 2613 or 2512 and light points. With a 45-50 yd max, typically in sheltered woods, etc., trajectory, foc, wind drift, etc. are essentially moot points - as long as the arrows group. Heck, with some bow set-ups an all carbon may actually be too light and too fast (exceeding the 288 fps max) for some of the guys as well, hence the use of a slightly heavier aluminum.

My observations anyways.................:)

>>-------->

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just figured it was because they are so good at judging yardage they are willing to give up the extra speed because they are so close on distance that speed doesn't matter.
Fly

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im no pro but I shoot X7 2413 282fps and wouldn't shoot nothing but alum...I cant get the spine exact and on the trajectory thing as compared to carbon a heavier alum arrow will hold its trajectory much straighter than a full carbon...after about 42 yards a carbon will lose velocity and thus its trajectory will falter a heavier alum will maintain its velocity better and its trajectory will not drop as dramatic...I know with a cxl 350 and my dial up at 48 yrds I must dial 50 to hit the spot...with my 2413s I can dial it to 48 and nail it...and the 350 is about 7 fps faster...shows how the trajectory changes as the weight decreases even though the speed is increased. This was just my observations...it may vary for others. Ill take my aluminum anyday. BTW the added diameter doesn't hurt either.:D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
12sforever

what is your draw length and what does your arrow weigh, what weight tip, and what type of bow are you shooting because I can't even get close to that type of speed with my set up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chpro,

you've hit the nail on the head. I might also add that they're also alot cheaper than carbon, easton alunminum are the most uniform in weight, and straightest arrows manufactured. And when you only have to shoot 20 or 30 shots per day, shooting enough poundage to get the speed doesn't really tire you out!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Conquest...im shooting a Q2XL 30" draw 67#s X7 2413s 28 3/4"s 80 grn points...409 total arrow weight...im shooting a trophy taker rest. this set-up gives me a pretty stiff arrow but they fly like darts and they group unreal...this is the best set-up I have come across so far for me.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Well heres my two bits. The pro's should know, dont ya think? I personally shoot 2514's with 100 gr tips and a 30" draw out of a pro-tec xt3000 with fingers. They fly at 239 FPS, which I know is slow by todays standards, but the setup works well for me and the added weight is good for the elk i hunt. I could shoot a lighter combo for target, but I just like to stick with the same setup for everything. Even at 514 grains they are still deadly on game or 3-D targets out to 50 yds. I even dot-shoot with them in the winter. Just shoot what you are comfortable and happy with:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts