Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey proshop owners/operators. Here is an observation from the other side of the counter. I recognize that I am only one guy and the revenue that I add to your register may not be much but if you want to know how to get it from me the following may interest you.

My wife and I had recently discussed with this owner/operator our plans to buy two bows from him - one for each of us - as well as a gift certificate to be applied to a bow for a friend. Before walking out of his shop that day I ordered a new string for an old bow that I intended to pass along to a friend after I purchased a new bow for both myself and my wife. Accessories, arrows, and other items would of course be added to the purchase as discussed. Today I brought the old bow into the shop along with a torqueless loop and was told that he didn't like those loops and wouldn't install it.

Now here is where I'd suggest taking a different approach with a customer. Regardless if the customer is really wrong in their decision, taking a hard line "I refuse" direction really send a very clear negative message about you and your shop. If you see what you honestly believe is a poor decision by a customer ask them why they wish to go that route and offer insight as to why you believe a different route would benefit them better. Now I admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable consumer out there and have made some poor decisions in the past and thankfully owners/operators from shops where I resided at the time were polite and patient enough to guide me to what they believed, and in almost every case, truly was the right choice for me. When someone dismisses something that I wholeheartedly intended to pay to have installed with nothing more than an "I don't like those" it tells me that I really don't want to do keep doing business with someone who is dismissive, opinionated, and curt.

In the end his decision to operate the way he does is his decision, but I'm grateful that he decided to make it today, before we ordered our new bows, accessories, and arrows. Now I have in my pocket the address and operating hours of the larger shop with the really helpful people that I initially intended to avoid doing business with as I wanted to keep my purchases as local as possible. However after today I feel that the additional forty miles to their shop is worth it.

·
Registered
11,806 Posts
by your thread it looks like you did not bother to ask him why,,, could it be that hard?
He got his answer, the guy said he wasn't going to install it because he didn't like it..............at that point, it would be clear to anyone that the pro shop guy is an %^&*ole

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The OP may have asked why if the owner had not been so "curt".
At that point of the conversation I too would have been disheartened to purchase from someone with this attitude.
Just saying.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great Customer service should be a shops #1 priority. Treat a customer right, and they will be back and will tell a few of their friends about the great service they received. Treat them bad and they will not be back, and will tell everyone they know about how bad they were treated!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
While I don't agree with a lack of explanation.... That is just poor customer service, but its his right to not install it. Who is liable if the torqueless D-loop falls apart while your shooting it??? His or yours?? What if he has seen many of them fail. Does he get held accountable for installing a product that he knew could do harm.

While I doubt that's that actual case here and the lack of communication is just horrible customer service. I've never heard of a rash of torqueless d loop's failing. However, the consumer usually doesn't look at it from the shop's side. This is a sue happy world. I on occasion refuse to use products that are going to come back and bite me in the butt. If you had any idea the number of times I spent an hour trying to talk a person out of using something, only to have them insist on using it. Then they come back and blame me for letting them use something they insisted on using. Its enough to make you shake your head.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
two sides to every story, we heard only one,,,, he did not say he was told to leave, he got his feelings hurt and left in huff,,, any mature man should have at least tried to ask why,,,, and give him a chance to explain why,, maybe he would maybe he wouldn't, but looks like to me he was not given a chance to explain,,, the only thing clear is the op did not ask...........

·
Up a Tree.......
3,198 Posts
Basically the owner should have explained why he didn't like the torqueless loop and went from there.

This is the issue you always hear on here from a complainant is they said=============they didn't like this or that was junk and so on.

If people took another minute to explain why they have this opinion, there wouldn't be as many people complaining....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I understand that the shop owner didn't like those. Im not a fan either. But I also understand the OP. Owner should have said that set up is ususally free, but for me to install this, ill need to charge $10.00. Owner could have used a little more finess than he did. But IMO I wouldn't drive 40 miles one way each time I needed to get something done because someone rubbed me wrong. Each day is different and the next several times you go in there he might be one of the nicest guys you encounter. He could have been having a bad day. You never know what is going on in his world right now. Just saying, don't dump em unless you see a pattern. I think you should be blunt with the guy and tell him what your experience was. Bet he makes ammends with you.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
While I don't agree with a lack of explanation.... That is just poor customer service, but its his right to not install it. Who is liable if the torqueless D-loop falls apart while your shooting it??? His or yours?? What if he has seen many of them fail. Does he get held accountable for installing a product that he knew could do harm.

While I doubt that's that actual case here and the lack of communication is just horrible customer service. I've never heard of a rash of torqueless d loop's failing. However, the consumer usually doesn't look at it from the shop's side. This is a sue happy world. I on occasion refuse to use products that are going to come back and bite me in the butt. If you had any idea the number of times I spent an hour trying to talk a person out of using something, only to have them insist on using it. Then they come back and blame me for letting them use something they insisted on using. Its enough to make you shake your head.
I have also refused to do some things for valid reasons,,, I always try to explain, but I have also been told "it's what I want" .... recently had a idiot in the shop wanting his 500 spine arrows cut down for his 185# cross bow,,, he had been told by a local dip stick at a gander mountain they could be used with no problem......... the customer did ask why and I explained to him why,,,, in his case it probably saved him from going back to gander mountain to get it done,,,,,,,,,, it will never hurt to ask for a reason, if the reason is stupid, then move on ......

·
Registered
11,460 Posts
The words "I refuse" Would have sent a signal to me saying guys an dbag keep your money in Your wallet"

If I were in your shoes as soon as he said I refuse I would have been turned around walking out the door

·
Registered
474 Posts
The words "I refuse" Would have sent a signal to me saying guys an dbag keep your money in Your wallet"

If I were in your shoes as soon as he said I refuse I would have been turned around walking out the door

I guess that make alot of people "dbags" for refusing to do things they do not want to do for what ever reason. C'mon man!!!

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
When it comes to verbal communication, it's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...he did not say he was told to leave, he got his feelings hurt and left in huff,,, any mature man should have at least tried to ask why...
The only time I've left anywhere in a "huff" was when my newlywed bride leaned over and whispered that she was ready to leave our wedding reception. Feelings hurt? No, I was simply taken aback when he made his statement and then in a matter of fact tone dismissed me. In the end I think it all worked out for the better. Left the other shop with everything I wanted and more plus a military discount that I was unaware was even being offered.

2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo - ordered
2013 Hoyt Charger - couldn't resist the slight sale price as well as the allure of taking it home right then and there with my torqueless loop installed
2014 Bear Apprentice 2 - for "Household 6"
A pair of Axcel vision five pin sights
A pair of smackdown rests
Dozen arrows for the bride
Dozen arrows for myself
A pair of bow cases
Other "stuffs"

Like I indicated in my initial post, I know that I'm not the end all, be all of customers and I'm certain that the loss of my business won't break the guy and while I won't ever go back to him, I wish him no ill will. And forty additional miles -each way- is nothing when it comes to this customers satisfaction.

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
The customer's perspective is awesome; customer service along with people and communication skills are mandatory.

Now I would not have installed the loop either…BUT…I would gladly have built you one and installed it. It would be a liability and insurance issue for me. I also would put on strings that came in with them being in the package from a reputable manufacturer.

Again it boils down to treating people right, fair, and good communication.

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
The only time I've left anywhere in a "huff" was when my newlywed bride leaned over and whispered that she was ready to leave our wedding reception. Feelings hurt? No, I was simply taken aback when he made his statement and then in a matter of fact tone dismissed me. In the end I think it all worked out for the better. Left the other shop with everything I wanted and more plus a military discount that I was unaware was even being offered.

2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo - ordered
2013 Hoyt Charger - couldn't resist the slight sale price as well as the allure of taking it home right then and there with my torqueless loop installed
2014 Bear Apprentice 2 - for "Household 6"
A pair of Axcel vision five pin sights
A pair of smackdown rests
Dozen arrows for the bride
Dozen arrows for myself
A pair of bow cases
Other "stuffs"

Like I indicated in my initial post, I know that I'm not the end all, be all of customers and I'm certain that the loss of my business won't break the guy and while I won't ever go back to him, I wish him no ill will. And forty additional miles -each way- is nothing when it comes to this customers satisfaction.

What town or post was this?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
he shouldn't have to ask him "why".....
it's not the shop owners' place to decide what the customer likes or wants. I can understand a little advice when a customer comes in and wants something that's blatantly wrong for the application, but because the shop owner doesn't like something, that's no reason to deliberately push his preference onto his customers. I'll bet, if you could pry into that alittle bit, the shop owner didn't know what a "torque less loop" was, or how to put one on a bow.....many small shop or business owners in general, take on the, "I refuse", attitude, when they are confronted with something they know little about.
the ridiculous thing is, instead of reading a little they forfeit a good amount of business....just as this guy did.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,139 Posts
I think the ONLY thing I have refused was installing a 14 strand string and cables on a speed bow many years ago. I was worried about liability.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts