Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing different auctions and realized that alot of bows for sale have scratches or other blemishes where different equipment attaches to the bow. ie. arrow rest, bow sight, V-bar.

Is there a way to prevent this?

I had the thought of putting a thin sheet of rubber material between the riser and my bow sight for protection but a guy at my proshop said that it's too much trouble and it would probably cause more vibration than it was worth. This is however the same guy who blatantly admits that he doesn't mind scratching up his bows.

I for one do mind.. I didn't get a fancy flame ano job for nothin :rolleyes:

I was thinking maybe clear nail polish applied before attaching the equipment might offer some protection? Would this be harmful to the anodized coating?

Your opinions?

·
archery nut
5,849 Posts
just apply moleskin to the area of the sight or rest that touches the riser, that way you have no metal to metal contact and your finish will be protected

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm using thin adhesive backed felt -- the kind that's readily available at the local hardware store and it's usually used to line the bottom of a vase or lamp (so as to not scratch the furniture).

Just cut it to shape and apply it to the back of the attachment. Once you bolt down the attachment good and tight, you'll have to come back later to torque the bolts again -- as the felt compresses. Once or twice should be all that you need.

I tried the rubber gasket material and it didn't work as the attachments always loosened up after 50 shots or so. Unlike the felt, the rubber wouldn't compress permanently.

I don't think that nail polish would work any better than any painted finish -- eventually it will wear through.

Try the felt - works great ... ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Capo,

that looks like you are sporting a new Ultimate X from Barnsdale in that picture!

So how's it going with the new toy?:)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Calieagle;

"putting a thin sheet of rubber material between the riser and my bow sight"

That used to be standard practice, a lot of sight mounts would come with a thin strip of rubber (drilled). You could use the strip for a shim as well. I still use one, more to protect the bow finish than the vibration damping aspect. The only downside is that it may effect your sight's windage, depending on your centershot cutout.

If you are careful you should be able to keep your bow relatively scratch free. The paint jobs/dips on new bows are a little fragile, but not delicate. Depending on the scratch you can use a little jeweler's polish and buff it so it isn't as noticable. If you really like a scratched up bow, you can have it bead blasted and painted at an autobody shop.

-CG

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Choice...

is Mole Skin. It works great for such applications and it even comes in camo!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Ron,

It's a Classic and it's a real beauty with the zebrawood limbs. I should have some pics posted by tomorrow morning.

It arrived last night in the middle of the thunder storm.

Yep, I'm having a blast messing with it and I spent a good part of today setting it up and shooting. Should have been working on the house though ... :(

I'll have it with me on the field course this weekend. You're gonna love it ... :)

See you Friday ........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts