Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has had a chance to shoot a bow with the 2016 updated stock strings? How are tey compared to the old ones.peticularly how are the strings on the 2016 bow madness 32 and 34?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If you are talking about he PSE stings, i.e. not the ABB strings. I had them on a new bow. I am not an expert on stings, but the center serving was so thick, my knocks would barely fit around them. The short time I did shoot them, I had very erratic peep rotation. I had new strings made.

The Peep thing may have been corrected by someone that knew more than me, the center serving would need to have been redone. It was unusable. This was on a Supra EXT. I have an Expression as well with ABB. I have no trouble with those strings. (other than they are red) I wish PSE would have put ABB on all their bows.

·
Master Class
8,205 Posts
I think my new Supra EXT strings are ABB'S. I have had nothing but problems with them. String serving came apart,had to put on a new center serving. 3 times I had to to put twists to get my my peep rotation right. Said the heck with that and got some 60X on it now and everything is working great now. Haven't had an issue since and this bow really shoots.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I thought supras had abb strings too.
Thame way to tell is by serving. Clear serving is abb

Wolf44 made me some furry stings. I have about 600 shots on them and they have not moved

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Tagged

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I am shooting a 2015 dream season decree. The peep keeps rotating on me also. I have already shot it over 200 times and the peep sometimes aligns and sometimes doesn't (most of the time it does not). I think I am going to go with either winners choice or 60X. Other than that I really like the bow.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got a premonition HD, and the servings fell apart. The peep still won't stay in place. Planning on replacing in the off season

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
I am shooting a 2015 dream season decree. The peep keeps rotating on me also. I have already shot it over 200 times and the peep sometimes aligns and sometimes doesn't (most of the time it does not). I think I am going to go with either winners choice or 60X. Other than that I really like the bow.
I would go with one of the few builders who will put actual speed nocks like your stock string on unless you plan on doing it yourself...Breathn and JBK make great strings and will match actual speed nocks. No point in having a high performance speed bow and losing speed due to an inferior string.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Chuck, I am curious, how much speed do speed knocks add? The last speed bow I had was an obsession evolution. I spent some time with a chronograph after new strings, a good tune, and adding speed nocks. I could never get more than two or three fps additional. Which made no difference in my arrow flight. Maybe I am missing something.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
Chuck, I am curious, how much speed do speed knocks add? The last speed bow I had was an obsession evolution. I spent some time with a chronograph after new strings, a good tune, and adding speed nocks. I could never get more than two or three fps additional. Which made no difference in my arrow flight. Maybe I am missing something.
I've played with 3 different PSE models with my chrono and there was a 6-9 fps loss without speed nocks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
ChuckA84 thanks for the advice. I will definitely do that. ryan391, as far as speed nocks go, if they are placed properly on the string it could me up to 10 fps. I would do it even if it only helps alittle.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Who has had a chance to shoot a bow with the 2016 updated stock strings? How are tey compared to the old ones.peticularly how are the strings on the 2016 bow madness 32 and 34?
Word I got from the rep is that the new strings are 452x and made in house. Shot several of the bows using them and they seemed fine as far as construction/serving etc. The nocks seemed to fit fine but only had PSE arrows to shoot so not sure of other brand nocks. Most of the high end bow still have ABB strings.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I would go with one of the few builders who will put actual speed nocks like your stock string on unless you plan on doing it yourself...Breathn and JBK make great strings and will match actual speed nocks. No point in having a high performance speed bow and losing speed due to an inferior string.
I contact 60X and they said they DO NOT install speed nocks. I would have to get a shop to do it.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
Word I got from the rep is that the new strings are 452x and made in house. Shot several of the bows using them and they seemed fine as far as construction/serving etc. The nocks seemed to fit fine but only had PSE arrows to shoot so not sure of other brand nocks. Most of the high end bow still have ABB strings.
Yeah PSE has the tune charts for 2016 up and it is showing 452x for the in house non-ABB strings (with the exception of the stinger and the youth and bowfishing bows which have cheap dynaflight strings)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
ChuckA84 thanks for the advice. I will definitely do that. ryan391, as far as speed nocks go, if they are placed properly on the string it could me up to 10 fps. I would do it even if it only helps alittle.
Speed nocks was discontinued for some string builders due to insurance liability reason. Speed nocks not only can improve overall speed, it also helps dampen string noise during the shot. It is a win win for me. Others may think differently.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Speed nocks was discontinued for some string builders due to insurance liability reason. Speed nocks not only can improve overall speed, it also helps dampen string noise during the shot. It is a win win for me. Others may think differently.
Yes I agree with you 100%.Even if they didn't produce more speed they help in dampening sound and vibes.And if a string builder wont install the speed nocks I look elsewhere. another reason I choose Breathn plus his quality is excellent.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I have trouble understanding the liability of having the speed nocks...is a string maker really liable if they fly off? How about the peep flying off? Or nocking point? Or kisser button? I find it hard to believe that this could be true... Some have mentioned that they can fly off if the bow blows up or is dry fired...now wouldn't the same be true of every single component on the bow in this scenario?

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
I have trouble understanding the liability of having the speed nocks...is a string maker really liable if they fly off? How about the peep flying off? Or nocking point? Or kisser button? I find it hard to believe that this could be true... Some have mentioned that they can fly off if the bow blows up or is dry fired...now wouldn't the same be true of every single component on the bow in this scenario?
A lot of string makers that stopped placing them on their strings blame liability and refer to some ghost lawsuit that nobody knows nothing about and there is no record of that they can provide...but I bet the time and effort it consumes to install them has a lot more to do with it...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts