Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the BOWMADNESS XS LH 29 DRAW 40 LB for my first bow.
I was in a shop last night and was advised my draw length was 26 and I could pull the bow
at 38#, but it was hard for me.
They did not have a left hand bow that I liked, but told me I needed a 40 lb Max.
Since I am trying to figure out all the lingo, I just want to make sure that when they say 40 lb,
that is the max. and that it can go down to 30lb. Sorry for being such a newb:)

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
You must not of read her post she said 38# was too much for her, why would you recomend a 50# bow.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If the 38 was hard then I would listen to what the shop is telling you and go with the 40's. You want to be able to shoot it comfortably for numerous arrows. It will crank down low enough to allow you to shoot it.

Scott Starnes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the 38 was hard then I would listen to what the shop is telling you and go with the 40's. You want to be able to shoot it comfortably for numerous arrows. It will crank down low enough to allow you to shoot it.

Scott Starnes.
Thanks, I just want to make sure I order the right one!

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
yes when it is referred to as a 40lb bow that is typically max weight. the bowmadness xs would be a fine bow for you. good luck and start with 30lbs so you can get your form down without struggling.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You must not of read her post she said 38# was too much for her, why would you recomend a 50# bow.
You're right; I'm sorry; When I read that, I did see the 38#, but thought that she said that "it was NOT that hard for me [to draw]".

My bad. Yes, I'd get a 40, then do some weights and otherwise exercise - it will get to be no problem most likely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I was shopping around for my first bow I shot the bowmadness xs and loved it. I think it is a great bow and its pretty easy to pull back compared to other brands.

if you are struggling to pull 38# then you do want to go with a 40# bow. Normally you can get around 4lbs more than the max. Most states require you pull at least 40# to be able and hunt with legally.

The more you practice pulling the stronger you will become. Drop the draw weight as low as you can and increase one turn every week until you get the most out of your 40#.

I own a mathews passion 50# and I had my bow max'd out at 54lbs when I bought. I have never had on the lower poundage side to know what it will drop down too

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I would get a 40 bow and back it down to 30 and probably work your way up to 35. one thing that I would make sure of is what your comfortable draw length is. maybe even try out a PSE Chaos in a 25" draw length. if a draw length is to long for you it will make it more difficult to draw.

good luck and the BM XS is a great bow
jkeiffer

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Good for you, Great Bow.

I didn't see this thread till just now, I wanted to also mention that PSE's come in a little heavy in the limbs.
Meaning a 30-40 pound bow may well be a 35-45lb bow, I haave even seen some PSE's come in as much as 6 pounds heavy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ordered the pse bowmadness xs!:)

Now the wait:(
I cancelled my order for the bowmadness xs and order the Chaos One.
I went to bass pro yesterday and got to see the bowmadness ready to shoot - which is what I had ordered.
I didn't really care for the sights, quiver, etc.
Since it was on bo, I was able to cancel and went with just the bow for the Chaos One.
I will take it to my local archery store to get it sighted in and get all the add-ons from them.
The Chaos is almost 1 lb lighter, so this will be a plus for me:)
I have found that there are not alot of left handed 40lb bows on the rack to buy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
... I wanted to also mention that PSE's come in a little heavy in the limbs. Meaning a 30-40 pound bow may well be a 35-45lb bow, I haave even seen some PSE's come in as much as 6 pounds heavy.
Thanks for that! I'm wrestling with the pull weight issue on my first bow as well. That little tidbit might save me some angst. If the PSEs I'm looking at are the same way, I'll have a much easier decision. Thanks!

I will take it to my local archery store to get it sighted in and get all the add-ons from them.
The Chaos is almost 1 lb lighter, so this will be a plus for me:)
Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts