Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Mission Menace

First, let me preface my comments by saying I not a Mathews enthusiast.

Now, I'd recommend looking at the Mission Menace. After looking at the Chaos, Razor Edge, and Alpine Micro Elite. The local Hoyt shop didn't have a Kobalt in stock. We picked up the Menace about 2-3 weeks ago. My 12yo son loves it and is getting quite good with it. He is motivated by the promise to go to the TechnoHunt range once I feel he is consistent enough and can shoot 20 times without tiring out. Just added a Kwikee 3-arrow quiver (Lost Camo...blends well with the bow's Max-4) to his bow tonight. I'm slowly tweeking the draw weight and he's handling it well.

Regarding the bow:
31" ATA
7.25" Brace
2.92 #
17-30" draw length (rotating module)
16-52# draw weight (max # varies based on DL setting)

He is currently at 24" and approximately 33-34#. The bow is very quite, but has some weird umbrella looking string silencers that "buzz/hum" when shot. I put a string stop on it and that removed most of the buzz. Very quiet bow, even when max DW and max DL...yes, I shot it too. Only "Cheapy" I see is the composite limb pockets.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I thought the Menace was basically a Mathews Genesis bow.
I hope not...

It has twin perimeter-weighted cams. It seems pretty quick, but they haven't posted any speeds and I haven't chrono'd it. The PSE Chaos is probably faster, but this bow was available when I had the rare approval of the CFO. Didn't wait for that approval to falter.

He's shooting well with it. I expect about 2 years use from my oldest, before he moves up and his younger brother, then sister, inherit it.

· Registered
44 Posts
I'd say chaos, just got one for my little sister for target and 3d. she liked it more than the diamond and the martin leopard

· Fair Chase Outdoors
228 Posts
Chaos

pse chaos. it has the longer ata, it has a wider adjustment range, and has greater technology. it has a better back wall than all of the other bows u listed.
Just ordered 1 for my wife in pink today. She shot the camo and loved it.

· Registered
783 Posts
First, let me preface my comments by saying I not a Mathews enthusiast.

Now, I'd recommend looking at the Mission Menace. After looking at the Chaos, Razor Edge, and Alpine Micro Elite. The local Hoyt shop didn't have a Kobalt in stock. We picked up the Menace about 2-3 weeks ago. My 12yo son loves it and is getting quite good with it. He is motivated by the promise to go to the TechnoHunt range once I feel he is consistent enough and can shoot 20 times without tiring out. Just added a Kwikee 3-arrow quiver (Lost Camo...blends well with the bow's Max-4) to his bow tonight. I'm slowly tweeking the draw weight and he's handling it well.

Regarding the bow:
31" ATA
7.25" Brace
2.92 #
17-30" draw length (rotating module)
16-52# draw weight (max # varies based on DL setting)

He is currently at 24" and approximately 33-34#. The bow is very quite, but has some weird umbrella looking string silencers that "buzz/hum" when shot. I put a string stop on it and that removed most of the buzz. Very quiet bow, even when max DW and max DL...yes, I shot it too. Only "Cheapy" I see is the composite limb pockets.

Even though the Menance is a good bow and has the most draw length adjustment then the other bows listed. It is not in the same category of bows. The Mission UX2 would be a closer match who has the same cam system at the Menance. I have been looking for a upgrade for my youngest daughter which is 13. She currently shoots a PSE Spyder S4 which she has had for 5 years now and has served her well. After looking at all of these bows she settled on the Kobalt. It is very hard for us to find any of these bows to shoot so I could understand why this is a hard decision. The PSE Choas was unable to find.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
All 3 you listed are great the Kobalt is a bit higher priced.I sell all three and for some growing the razor Edge is great 19-29" 30-60lbs on 1 set of cams.I haven't seen a more adjusatable bow and the come all set up for under $350.00.The chaos is also a great bow not as much draw weight adjustment on 1 set of limbs.The Kobalt is the best bow out of the 3 but it isn't as adjustible if she grows alot.They have different cams but thats just another chunk of cash.I think they have 2.5" per cam so if you get 1 on the short end of her draw length on the shortest setting it will last awhile depending on how much more she grows.Good luck any of these bow you listed are great.PS I saw the Menace last week and I wouldn't compare it with the 3 you are looking at.I don't like the limbs they are like the genisis witch are fine on the genisis.But when the split limbs started years ago the had problems with those small limb flexing different.That why you see most of the new split limbs with wider limbs the are much more stabile.I'm not bashing the Menace I just think you other choices are alot better.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. I think we are probably going to go with the Razor Edge, mostly due to the amount of room to grow. The 30-60 # DW range will let her use it for target or hunting, for many years. She shot one the other day and really liked it.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
I would reccomend the Parker Sidekick in the Pink G1 camo. Check it out before making any final suggestions. Its a sweet bow I bought one for the lady and she loves it. 18-28 inch draw range and 19-50lbs in draw weight in 10lb incriments, the weight isnt based on the draw length like others. When she outgrows the weight of the bow you simply take it to your Parker Dealer and get heavier limbs. Usually a $50 charge total. Parker will even replace the strings if they need it when you upgrade limbs. Ive seen this done countless times. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.