Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While shooting our indoor league last Wednesday, a fellow shooters PSE was making an odd twang vibe when he shot. Overheard him say he thought it could be his rest or sight. I asked to take a look and felt a vibe when I rapped on his lower cam. Closer inspection revealed he had lost a screw that locks the draw module into place. Nobody had a replacement screw handy so he picked some up at the local hardware store.

We shoot our league on two nights to accommodate work schedules. Met him yesterday and tried to get the module into place. The slot in the cam was a bit chewed up from the module slipping out of place. I couldn't get the pin to align properly and get both screws in place in their farthest separation. I opted to place two screws in adjacent threaded holes. Something wasn't right in my mind. We put the bow on the draw board and cranked her back. As it got to full draw, I noticed that the lower draw stop was going to pass right by the cable it is supposed to stop against.

Good thing we checked first as he could have easily drawn it over and gone into cam lock. I pulled both module screws and slipped the module off the cam. Using a metal machinists ruler I was able to determine that the module was warped about 1/32 of an inch across the middle and wouldn't sit flush against the cam. Also noticed that the crescent shape of the module was also actually compressed slightly, thereby causing the problem with aligning the pin with two screw locations.

He purchased this rig used about one year ago, so warranty won't be there to help him. He's going to contact PSE to get a new module. I'll replace it and use blue Loctite on the threads. I've done some research and read that this is common with some PSE's. AT is an amazing resource!

Other that the cam slot being chewed up from the module slippage and some scarring where the pin slipped out of it's hole, I think the cam is ok.

Long winded explanation but can anyone else weigh in on this on what else to check for damage? Cable has some serving separation, but not too bad.

·
Registered
15,379 Posts
Once you have a new mod just put it in and tell the guy to check those, OFTEN! Lol
should be able to push the serving back in place and all will be good.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you have a new mod just put it in and tell the guy to check those, OFTEN! Lol
should be able to push the serving back in place and all will be good.
No kidding. I'm one of the club guys that everyone goes to when they need tuning or anything involving press work. Got tired of the local shops not having time to work on my own gear properly, so I picked up my own LCA press and draw board attachment. Can't count how many times I've found problems to be loose draw modules. Glad I shoot DLS cams.

Here's a pic of the module. You can just see the material compression on the inside curve by the hole to the right of the part number
View attachment 6365985

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
Seen it a lot with PSE bows from a couple years ago. They had problem with the screws backing out. Now they are coming with some thread locker on them. Another problem I saw a lot is that people who adjust the draw length don't get the peg into the hole before tightening down the mod screws. When they tighten the screws, the peg pushes out of the module and not actually into the indexing hole. Then the mod is held in place only by the screws. Once they loosen a little, the mod begins to move under the pressure and bad things happen. You can tap the peg back into position, I even had a little hole in the bench that I used to do just that, and it should be okay as long as it's not forced back out again.

You may also check the rest of the cam over well in case this bent module was the result of a dry fire or other abuse by the previous owner. If the rest of the cam checks out, take extra care to ensure that the module pin actually goes into the indexing hole and with the addition of loctite, he should be good to go. Check the screws often after that.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Can happen on any bow with mods, always put blue or purple thread lock on the threads. I check every screw on my bow regularly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts