Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to working on one of my projects. Very simple swap. #15 896 limbs and HF cams from a 2008 Dream Season HF to a Bowmadness XL riser. All I did was measure the distance from limb bolt to limb bolt on each riser, subtract to get the difference, and add that amount to the string and cable lengths of the 2008 Dream season or XF HF 6. I also had to figure out what deflection limbs I needed to get me to the 60 lb max weight I wanted.

Specs:

37-9/16" A/A
7-1/2" Brace height
60 lb peak draw weight
29" - 33" draw length range
4 lbs - 2-5/8 ounces (4.164 lbs) - mass weight.
Compare to 2013 Freak Max 4.6 lbs. Almost a half pound lighter.

No Chrono speeds yet. But it should be about the same as a 2013 Freak Max.

This bow looks really nice with the 7.5" brace height. It draws really smooth too as you would expect with the HF cams.

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Very cool

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
congratulations it looks great
* a nice long, light bow, good forgiveness and the hf cams drawing is my favorite, excellent for interiors

·
Registered
887 Posts
a question
What type of rubber is placed as a string stop, bear bows? seems to have the necessary deviation included in your design, a good solution for older designs
* and the pockets of tremors, pressed against the elevator without the 4mm recommended by pse? Maybe you've reduced the stress on the limbs at rest to compensate?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the factory string stop rubber dampener with a Mathews off-set string stop rubber dampener because the string was not hitting the center of the factory dampener. I have not paper tuned it yet, so it is suffice to say I may need to shim the cams to get it paper tuned. Sometimes the string will be close to the center once it is shimmed properly and in tune, and sometimes not quite in the center. That's why PSE went to the offset string stops that can be adjusted for this. If it requires an offset after paper tuning, I may put a newer style string stop on it that has as off-set if I have one that is long enough.

Some builders go by shim SPECS they have written down. I take a different approach. My initial shim is close to center for the top cam (maybe as much as .020 to left of center/string side of center and bottom cam shimming is based on the pre-lean of the cam to be slightly /. When I place an arrow against the cable side of the cam, I want about a 1/2" gap between the string and arrow at the d-loop for a bow this long. I let the paper tear tell me which way to shim it from there. I already know it is a waste of time to start with the bottom cam with no lean at brace (like this: ll ).

As far as the gap between the string and the stop is concerned, I have had very good luck with the string barely touching the stop at brace. Setting a "gap" is silly. No matter if it has a gap or touching, the string is going to smack the hell out of the stop. It won't hit less hard just because there is a 1/8" gap there. I don't care what PSE recommends, I will always have the string barely touching the stop on my bows. Others can do what they want. For me, it's a wasted of time to even debate it. I would rather worry more about getting the arrow to tune down the center.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I was just curious
* In the second question I was referring to the space between the riser and the limbs pockets, sorry for my bad English, Pse recommends 1/4 inch as a minimum although I don't see the problem there either

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just curious
* In the second question I was referring to the space between the riser and the limbs pockets, sorry for my bad English, Pse recommends 1/4 inch as a minimum although I don't see the problem there either
Yea, I know what you mean now. The 1/4" that the foam washer was supposed to maintain. I may put those in later.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have another one of these risers. I'm thinking about putting MF cams on it to get it down to my 27.5" draw length.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That would be fine
but watch out for MF cams
according to the tuning charts, they greatly increase the weight of the limbs,
like LF cams
curious to see the results and the feeling of those cams

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like those specs and appearance of this bow. Kinda my cup of tea. Awesome!
It's an easy project. Find you a 2007-08 dream season or X-Force HF with the weight you want + 10 lbs. and just switch them over to the Bowmadness XL riiser. In other words, if you want a 60 lb bow, buy you a 70 lb Dream season HF or XF-6 or 7 (#14 896 limbs) and you will end up right at 60 lbs. I have #15 896 limbs on mine and it peaks at 60 lbs. the strings are simple.

String: 65.5
Buss: 38.75
Control: 41.5

I'll measure out the cable and string serving specs and post them later. It appears that I forgot to right them down. I'm have a bad habit of forgetting to right specs down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's an easy project. Find you a 2007-08 dream season or X-Force HF with the weight you want + 10 lbs. and just switch them over to the Bowmadness XL riiser. In other words, if you want a 60 lb bow, buy you a 70 lb Dream season HF or XF-6 or 7 (#14 896 limbs) and you will end up right at 60 lbs. I have #15 896 limbs on mine and it peaks at 60 lbs. the strings are simple.

String: 65.5
Buss: 38.75
Control: 41.5

I'll measure out the cable and string serving specs and post them later. It appears that I forgot to right them down. I'm have a bad habit of forgetting to right specs down.

Thanks for the info. Was thinking how to reduce the draw weight of a 70Lbs super short to mid 50s.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
any word on the speed you see with this creation,? what draw length you got it set at ?
nice work, it was a impressive brainstorm .

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i only got this pic but this is what i got after replacing the 895's with 898's .
kinda calling it the BMXL7, was gonna call it the supramadness, but it only really has single cam supra specs & since it has more bmxl parts its really just a 7" brace bmxl.
38" ata, 7" brace, 61.7# max.

pse pm sunshine.jpg

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i only got this pic but this is what i got after replacing the 895's with 898's .
kinda calling it the BMXL7, was gonna call it the supramadness, but it only really has single cam supra specs & since it has more bmxl parts its really just a 7" brace bmxl.
38" ata, 7" brace, 61.7# max.
Nice! I haven't checked the speed on mine yet. I got sidetracked on another project. I'll post as soon as I get around to tuning it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts