Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I buy the PSE legacy longbow or the PSE mustang recurve? I cannot decide! Which one is better for target practice and hunting

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
buy both of them, the one you like the best is the one you keep, the other one you sell or trade to see if there is something else you like.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Neither; PSE buys all of their traditional bows overseas for pennies on the dollar, slaps their logo on them and then retails the bows for an inflated price. Best bang for your buck: Bama Bows, Kegan's "Omega" bows and many others.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
For a recurve, the best bang for the buck out there is the Samick Sage. For an American-Made longbow, it'd be hard to go wrong with an Omega. Nothing wrong with the PSE bows. I've got two, and I learned a lot from them. That said, there are better bows out there, dollar for dollar.

·
Registered
981 Posts
As you can tell from my signature, I'm pretty happy with my PSE Blackhawk. $229

·
32,571 Posts
Should I buy the PSE legacy longbow or the PSE mustang recurve? I cannot decide! Which one is better for target practice and hunting
Have you looked at the Excel by Hoyt? Its a super fine ILF bow......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a recurve, the best bang for the buck out there is the Samick Sage. For an American-Made longbow, it'd be hard to go wrong with an Omega. Nothing wrong with the PSE bows. I've got two, and I learned a lot from them. That said, there are better bows out there, dollar for dollar.
So you think the Samick Sage ($130) is better than the PSE Mustang ($209) ? How is your PSE Sequoia ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've shot the legacy longbow and it was not bad but if you want a highly R/D longbow you should look into the omega longbow by kegan, it is a whole lot of bow for the money and I'm sure you will be happy

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
If you end up with a draw length of 29" or more then the long bow will suit better. I personally like the Sage @ 62" (cheaper too) and it handles my draw length fine. The good thing about the take down recurves is you can upgrade the limbs to a heavier draw weight or carry a spare set.

I like longbows too but they don't like me that much lol!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sbosco,

The Sequoia is a nice bow, in its own way. Pretty, D shaped longbow. It is an accurate shooter, and draws smoothly. The downside to the bow design is it has a fair amount of hand shock, and doesn't suffer fools gladly, form-wise. I've put a lot of shots through the Sequoia, and have enjoyed doing so. Next to a reflex/deflex design like the Omega, though, it's fairly rough and sort of slow. It really depends on what you want out of the bow, I guess. It's likely that I'll part with the two PSE bows at some point this spring, and use the proceeds to get another bow that is more my style.

Cheers,

Patrick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a little info that might help you understand what i need. I might use it for hunting deer or any smaller game. I am 16 and I have just found my old bow from a while ago and just got back into archery. It is a 24" draw length at 21# and the draw weight is way to easy for me. I just re-measured my draw length, it is about 27 inches.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
At 27" you should have no worries about draw length with either bow. Typically for hunting dear you want around 40# or more but it depends on regulations, etc. Will you looking to buy only one bow? If you are then the take down would be my choice, that way you can start off lighter and the add another set of limbs for deer.

Do you favor the longbow for any reason?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get what your saying about changing limbs as i grow. I am looking to only buy one bow because its a little hard for me to get much money. I do like how the longbow looks and theyr range. I get so much thrill out of trying to hit a target at a very long distance, even if its a 1% chance of hitting it! haha! But I really cant decide

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Lol! We all have that problem, deciding. It sounds like you favor the longbow and a 40# - 45# would be a good all round draw weight. You might find a lighter bow easier to start off with but it wont be impossible to start off with heavier weight. In the old days hunters started with a 40# or heavier.

Btw, the range is pretty much the same for both types, it really depends on the fps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay sounds good! do you know anything about the fps on an omega longbow compared to the samick sage recurve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry no idea about the omega. I would expect it to be similar but I might be wrong about that, it could be faster.
alright i think im going to get a recurve. I have a budget of around $200 more or less. Do you think the samick sage is the best or?

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
For around $130 its hard to beat, if shipping is low enough then you could get an extra set of limbs + bow for just over $200. Have to say though, if the longbow is what you really want then get that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts