Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to choose one of these bows and only one which one? & why? They both look the same and are pretty close in specs.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Evo is fast... the Omen is a speed demon. The Evo has a longer brace height (6" vs 5.5"). They share limbs and risers but the Evo has the axe+ cams and the Omen has the UF cams. UF cams are big, light, speed cams of fixed draw length, and have a harder draw cycle and shorter valley than the axe+ cams (this is where the Omen's 20 or so fps comes from, along with the brace height). The axe cams are more user friendly, and also bolster lots of draw length adjustment.

Between the two, I'd chose the Evo. IMHO the only thing that actually warrants using the Omen is big game hunting- and by big game I mean Cape Buffalo, elephants, etc.

Edit: DS Evo is about 1" shorter ATA, not a big difference really

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

·
Life's a Garden, Dig it!
3,204 Posts
Well I'll go the other way. I love my omen pro. It's one bad bow. It's super accurate! The draw cycle isn't that bad. Takes a few shots to get use to. It holds really well and the wall on it is solid. Very easy bow to tune. Just an all around amazing shooting machine.

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
While i agree with just about all the above posters have to say regarding the difs?..i had a slightly different perspective when i decided on my omen...that perspective being..

"If I buy the faster bow i can shoot lesser poundage with equal results"

and it's true that the omen has a hump in the rear of the draw cycle however..upon test shooting the 2 back too back?..i found that for me the evo's hump was right up front...which for me with my 53 year old shot out shoulders?..I found it was actually easier for me to deal with the hump at close to full draw rather than having a hump in the front where my hands are closer together and not getting the full leverage benefit of all my chest/back/shoulder muscles like i do at close to full expansion with my omen...bottom line?..it was easier for me to struggle in the back than struggle up front and these two bows draw cycles are like exactly opposite each other...what sealed the deal?..the omens cams are machined from a higher grade of aluminum..aircraft grade 7075...whish is why they can be designed to be so light and fast..while the evo cams are machined from a lower grade of aluminum 6061 (which is just fine as most all others are) however..it's a weaker material that demands they be designed a bit more chuncky..especially with the "Press-Less Adjustable Draw" feature..the cost?..21fps..the advantage?..prolly make re-sale easier and quicker..but bottom line for me?..i have no intent of ever selling my omen...so why settle for slower bow and then hafta yank more pounds to get the same results?..but you really cant go wrong with either..they are both excellent hardware. :)

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
cold weather hunting=Evo. warm weather=Omen. They are both great shooting bows, but if you're gonna be sitting for hours in the cold and then expect to draw the Omen smoothly, well, practice a ton. I sell them both and they both have their strong suits. Lots of people love the early part of the draw on the Omen until they hit that hump. The Evo loads up earlier but smooths out later in the draw cycle, and you have to admit the Evo is much easier to let down, another thing to consider if in a hunting situation. Jinkster is spot on though with being able to keep good speed at a lower poundage.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Omen=Fast
Evo DS= Comfortable & fast

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Went with evo because of the adjustable draw and I don't keep bows long

Otherwise I prefer UF cam draw

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
If you were to choose one of these bows and only one which one? & why? They both look the same and are pretty close in specs.
i chose the evo and if you shoot them both side by side then you wont have to ask this question. the evo has it all, plenty of speed very smooth draw and very quiet. i think that the only thing the omen pro has on the evo is the speed but imo what you have to put youre body through to get it. it isnt worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Yep...and besides...Pete Shepley can most assuredly shoot any bow his company makes..but when i see him on the hunting shows?..It's an "Omen" he's slinging over his shoulder..kinda speaks volumes for me right there and like Jay Gregory says...he's getting 70lb performance out of a 60lb Omen...again..kinda speaks volumes to me...and last but not least?..in flipping through the PSE sales brochure?..i think there's a reason the 1st bow you see is the omen..cause it's their greatest achievement..billed as "The Worlds Fastest Production Speedbow"...the evo can be found on page 2...not that that means anything but..just saying cause they are both obviously fantastic bows..and if you're more comfortable with a more traditional loaded up front draw cycle than the evo is for you..but if you're more comfy working the hump at near full expansion?..like i am?..then it's Omen all the way..i wonder how many more pounds one would hafta draw on an evo to equal the performance of the omen..that would be a good test..just glad i dont really care what the results wind up being..i'm pumping a 375gr GT5575 an extremely consistant 284fps @ 28" draw...54#s..comfy enough for all day practice..just slow enough to meet ASA and be able to squeeze a 30 pin inbetween my 20 & 40..shoots smooth as glass, quiet as any i've ever heard and spot on accurate..just a matter of 2 questions..

1. Where do you like your hump..up front or out back?

and?..

2. Do you want the faster one?...or not. LOL!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
the Omen doesn'T have an hump, it just keep peak weight much longer and you 'feel' a hump but there's no raise in poundage at any point in the draw. Peak really soon and stack down slowly

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
yes, you feel when the cam rolls over at the end, that and everyone who has drawn and shot it in the shop my friend says "I don't know if I care for that hump at the end of the draw". there's a reason it has that speed, and you pay for it with a non-linear feel in the cycle

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to the bow shop today to see a Omen and the dealer there told me that the Omen cams are easy to break and bend. They are a fragil cam. You drop it and it will bend easy. Go with the DS kid. Anyone? Are the omen cams fragil?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
:dontknow::77::shhh::set1_thinking::nono:both bows are GREAT BOWS thats all i can say!:)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
the Omen doesn'T have an hump, it just keep peak weight much longer and you 'feel' a hump but there's no raise in poundage at any point in the draw. Peak really soon and stack down slowly
Yes there is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
2 weeks behind the riser of an Omen Max, and im starting to like it alot. Any flaw in your grip or form and the Omen will kick you in the nutsack ( good form goes with any bow ).
But you line up things straight and it will spit an arrow with some serious vengeance behind it. Im shooting mine at only 57lbs for 3D fun, and it's nice to see that flat trajectory.
The bow holds extremely well on target for me, and is very versatile for a speed bow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts