Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Gavin, I just started to do archery during the summer and now I am planning to buy a recurve bow, but I can't decide between the PSE's Optima and the Samick Lavita. If anybody have them or know about them please tell me what you think because I am interested in comparing their looks, durability and would normal archery equipments fit on them. THANX so much guys!!:wink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
My first recurve was a PSE Optima recurve, 66", 35#. Nice bow. Riser is drilled for standard rests, stabs, sights, etc. Optima does not have ILF limb pockets, so you are stuck buying PSE Optima limbs if you want to change limb weights. I started out with 35# limbs, too much for a beginner. I have since sold it and bought a Hoyt Matrix.

The PSE is a nice bow, and is a good relatively inexpensive choice. But knowing what I know now, I 'm not sure I'd recommend one. My wife has a Samick Mizar riser and limbs. It has great fit and finish, is vice looking, and is shoots well. I think I'd recommend that to someone to start out. It has all of the standard drilling, plus has ILF pockets, so you can use any brand of limb. It is a lot easier to find used ILF limbs than it is to find used Optima limbs.

PM me if you'd like more info. NO MATTER WHAT start out with LOW poundage limbs, then build up.

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx so much Steve, that really helped a lot!! uhmmm... may I know around how much were your Hoyt Matrix and Samick Mizar??

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Matrix riser only was $400 new from Lancaster. I bought Carbon Challenger limbs new from Lancaster at the same time for $200.

The Samik was bought used for $250 with riser, limbs, button, string, and case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts