Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow archers,

I'm new to AT but it's clear there are many experienced people out there and maybe some that can help with my query. I posted this in the PSE section but a member suggested I also post here...

I have a secondhand 25" PSE recurve riser and whilst I have gone through posts and the internet for pictures, I cannot find what mine is. It has no serial number. I think it's from the 1990's and have looked at the Centra, Universal and Zone risers from that decade, none of which match what I have (holes in the upper and lower riser sections don't match the models mentioned). I have seen an old ebay ad for a Zone Lightning, and whilst the riser matches, other Zone pictures I find have a different limb bolt design and holes in risers.

Also, it unfortunately has a crack (not open) starting from the clicker plate recess (which has been filled by previous owner) that runs about an inch along the upper riser section, just above the shelf. I am concerned this will become a dangerous bow to shoot with so have moved to a Hoyt GMX 23" riser, which is nowhere as steady in my hand as was the PSE, so the GMX require weights.

I'm lefty bare bower and shoot target, field and clout. Any suggestions about the PSE riser would be appreciated, as I would to keep shooting with this (if safe) but then am unsure in what discipline (T, F, C?) to shoot it in, as compared to the GMX.
Or should I just give up thinking it could be a second riser, retire it and turn it into a sculpture?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Attachments

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,768 Posts
I would not shoot that. I would think that the crack will make that riser fail on you.

Chris

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am positive this is a PSE Universal. This was a great riser but had a tendency to develop cracks at the clicker plate recess. Do not shoot it or it will completely break as experience have shown.

FYI, the different PSE risers are the Centra, Universal (both mad out of extruded plates), Zone, Intrepid, X-factor and X-appeal (all machined out of aluminum blocks).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the clarification on riser model Tom - and advice to not shoot as the others guys have also recommended. A shame - she was great to shoot with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with TomG, definitely a universal. I had 2 of them that both cracked through the clicker plate. Shame they were a good riser at the time. Rod White shot one at the 96 Atlanta games.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts