Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I've had a bow for a few years. It is a 1987 Martin given to me by a friend. I figured it's time to get a new bow so I've been looking around and the PSE Stinger and the Parker Wildfire XP caught my eye. Anyone have any suggestions, yays/nays on these bows? If you have another bow in mind I'd appreciate that too. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
stinger

never shot any parkers but i have the stinger and it is alot of bow for the money it is quiet and very low vibration and it is very accurate.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I shoot one at the shop I use when they first came out & for the money it's a good bow. I shot it with out a stab, sight, or string addons, just a loop & a WB rest it was very quiet very little shock. I have a 30'' dl with a IBO arrow it shot over 300fps.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Have you shot both? I you haven't, then you should. If you have, which one felt best for you? Nothing wrong with research...other opinions are good....but remember, the reason there are so many choices is because what works fine for one person doesn't always work for the next person...

...for me, I pick the bow that fits me best AND has a good reputation for customer service...which leaves lots of choices, thankfully ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think my archery shop lets you shoot the bow before you buy it. and they dont have either of those in stock. i live in a really small town. They will order it for you but im not sure if you can shoot. does anyone know which bow will be most forgiving?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Contact Dees (she's on this forum and one of the mods)...she's in Montana also...maybe she can help you...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went to my the bow shop yesterday and had a look around. there were lots of Bear bows, but none really caught my eye. They had a few Parkers and Matthews but i only saw one parker that i liked. There was a cheap matthews ignition there but thats more of a youth/womans bow. Im only 14 but ive got a pretty big shoulder span and draw length so im looking for something with a bit more oompf.

·
Lowered expectations
15,642 Posts
Not much to chose between the two, quality-wise. Both are good value and are very similar, so unless you have a chance to shoot them and decide for yourself, I wouldn't worry about picking either one. Go with the Stinger because it should be cheaper, but if that's not a big issue, consider the customer service reputation of either company. PSE is OK, but Parker is outstanding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks stash. i wasnt sure about the customer service. never had any experience with that. lol. ive been doing some research and a lot of people say the stinger has less hand shock and is more forgiving. anybody have any ideas on that?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't shoot parkers anymore, but with that said I love them!!!

Best thing you can do is go shoot them both. Trust me, the bow will pick you.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Check the Pearson line out they are the oldest bow maker since 1927 and there new bows out for 09 with the R2B2 binary cams TX-4 W/361IBO and the Z-34 speeds340-350fps or a great Z-7 single cam w/speeds of 330IBO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Stinger or PSE's customer service. They are very fair and accessible, and the bow itself is very easy to tune. I have sold a bunch of those to beginners and to people looking for an upgrade from their vintage bow. For the money, they are an outstanding value.

They are relatively shock free and quiet (no, they aren't a Mathews Drenalin or Hoyt Katera, but they also don't cost 8 bills). As with all short bows, they perform the best in close quarters for the average archer, but can be shot reasonably well at longer distances if you use a sight with an accurate bubble. The cam system is reliable, and those customers who have taken me up on the free "check-up" after awhile of shooting have needed little more than a slight adjustment to bring the bow back to it's original "bullet hole" paper tear.

A slight upgrade from there is the PSE Brute (add about 80 bucks), which used a similar cam system in 2008. They come with a different limb pocket and all the silencing stuff standard. I have not had a chance to review the new offerings for 09 yet, so I can't say for sure that any of this is still going to be offered.

Unfortunately, I cant speak to the Parker, as I have very little experience with them.

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. is the Brute any better than the Stinger? Sometimes i tend to move my bow arm during/after the shot with my older bow (it was slow so it probably effected it more) do you know if the Stinger will be forgiving of this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys. ive been doing a truckload of research on all the bows that im interested in. i havent heard one bad review about the stinger except one person that was addicted to Matthews say they cut corners with bearings/cams... but i dont think so.ive narrowed it down to pretty much the Stinger, the Brute, and a few others that im not so interested in. anybody have any more suggestions of bows i could browse?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i have a four day weekend this week. ima try to learn more about these bows and make some money. Anyone heard of any of the 2009 bows coming out? I was wondering if you thought it was worth it to wait until the 09s to buy.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i work in a bow shop that sales both i would go with the stinger.and if they have the diamond line look at the edge 298fps at 50# and if they dont let you shoot it before you buy go somewhere else.

·
Registered
723 Posts
im sorry i though you said that you were not that big maybe not the edge. the firestorm is a good buy. now is a good time to buy a new bow most evey one is wanting to get rid of there o8 bows look around you can find some good deals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personaly I like the Parker Wildfire, they have really good customer service and the bow is a great buy for the money.

Might be a little late to change your mind, but just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3dgeek, i would go somewhere else because the sports center here is kind of limited when it comes to trying something and taking it back. there is only one here though and the closest from here (idk if they will let you shoot either) is 100+ miles. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts