Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Jon, Nice review! I would like to add that since the trigger is basically a rifle trigger a gunsmith can help on that. Not to mention one could also install an aftermarket trigger and really customize it to their own preferences. JB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks very much for a very informative article. Ive been thinking of getting a Tac 15. I'm wondering how the loudness of the Tac 15 compares to other crossbows and/or compound bows? Could you comment on this?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Interesting ... :smile:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm a PSE dealer and avid archery hunter. I have never taken a Whitetail Buck with anything other than archery equipment. However when the TAC-15 came out i thought WOW what a wonderful weapon. Well this year i ordered a TAC-15I and love it, my 12 year old daughter harvested her first deer ever during the Missouri Youth Firearms season, a nice 4 1/2 year old buck, and I intend on using it during firearms season as well as for predator hunting. I guess i should have read your review first, but i found the trigger awful (13.86#) from the factory. After a minor modification from the internet now its 5.15# VERY nice. I added an HHA Optimizer w/scope and its driving tacks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
excellent review, I have a Tac-15i and almost sleep with it I love it that much. All my other xbows now gather dust. PSE engineers have done an amazing job and lets hope they and other bow engineers keep pushing the envolope because at the end of the day we the end users are the ones that win.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Aren't your tests usually done shooting off hand like I read on the Defender review?? Whay didn't you shoot the Tac-15 off hand?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for a very informative article. Ive been thinking of getting a Tac 15. I'm wondering how the loudness of the Tac 15 compares to other crossbows and/or compound bows? Could you comment on this?
I didn't feel that the loudness was something that stood out when shooting the xbow. I would not be dissuaded by the sound characteristics of this xbow compared to the others I have been shooting lately.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess there may be some confusion on what shooting by hand represents ( maybe at one point in one of my articles I called it shooting off hand but I can't remember)- I clarify in the articles that products are shot with a supportive device or off sandbags and in my charts I call it shooting by hand, but they statements are one in the same.

So to clarify- All products I have tested since the beginning of my testing have been shot off sandbags under the "shooting by hand" parameter.

Additionally, I decided at one point to stop shooting the products at long distances with my shooting machine- it was very easy to prove that an xbow can put the same projectile in the same hole each time (hole-in-hole test) when placed in my shooting machine- plus that test took at lot of time to setup. So at this point, you will probably not see me test testing products at long distances with my shooting machine and just shooting products by hand (off sandbags).

I hope that helps
Jon

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Let's address arrows ... and the lack of variety available. Is that issue ever going to be addressed? I don't remember who was making the arrows for the Tac15i but I have it in my head that I read somewhere that it is Gold Tip. Personally, I would NEVER buy a bow that depended on exclusive use of GT arrows. Can other brands be made to work?

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
PSE makes the arrows. They have their own arrow division. There are a couple of alternate arrows in the works.
Wyvern

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
PSE makes the arrows. They have their own arrow division. There are a couple of alternate arrows in the works.
Wyvern
Great ... That moves the Tac15i into serious consideration should my Strykeforce ever warrant replacing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Iron Duke, the arrows are one or the key elements that make the Tac-15 so accurate mainly because they are arrows not bolts. The arrows are a top bit of engineering, just holding them you can feel that they are years ahead. Expensive? you bet, but every time I nail a coke can at 125m it makes me smile. My Strykeforce gets no where near this shooting bolts but with the tac-15 arrows it gets a lot closer and grouping a lot smaller. Sell your Strykeforce and get a tac-15 you will not reget it. My Strykeforce has got about an inch of dust on it now and i do not think i will ever use it again that is how much the tac-15 has impressed me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If one is shooting Bolts instead of arrows in a modern crossbow ,I seriously doubt if the accuracy would compare to Arrows.lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Looks like a great crossbow...to be honest, however, they'd have to do something about that nearly 10 pound trigger pull before I'd be interested. The trigger pull on my Turbo is very nice indeed.

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
What the bow comes with for a trigger is irrelevant....any AR15 trigger upgrade pops right into that housing and there are triggers off the shelf out there that are WAY better than what comes on a production crossbow...:)

Wyvern

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What the bow comes with for a trigger is irrelevant....any AR15 trigger upgrade pops right into that housing and there are triggers off the shelf out there that are WAY better than what comes on a production crossbow...:)

Wyvern
Very cool, although why would a customer have to pay for a trigger upgrade on a 1600 dollar crossbow? :confused::confused: For that price it should come equipped with a very nice trigger indeed.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Very cool, although why would a customer have to pay for a trigger upgrade on a 1600 dollar crossbow? :confused::confused: For that price it should come equipped with a very nice trigger indeed.
Pretty simple logic, ain't it??? LOL ... lost in all the hub-bub is the common sense logical question!!! The man has a good point. :usa2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts