Archery Talk Forum banner

PSE Venom Pro Series and Warranty

2625 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ArcherWolf
I recently had my limb on my 2005 Venom Pro Series crack/split. I took it to a PSE Pro Shop to have new limbs ordered. Come to find out the limbs are not made any more and they offered to replace the bow with a closeout Brute or Rogue.

I had requested to just receive a credit and apply it to a new X Force. However I was told that was not possible. So…I was not interested in the Brute and begrudgingly requested the Rogue. (If the Rogue is an 07 model, I am ending up with a heavier and slower bow, not ideal for me with my short 25.5” draw. I need all the speed I can get. :rolleyes:)

I was told PSE would only replace my bow with one of the two. So I felt my hands were tied and had to choose between the two. My Pro Shop said PSE was valuing my bow at $400-$450, the same price as the Rogue/Brute.

I am kind of frustrated because I thought receiving a credit would have been a very easy thing and I could have bought a bow right off the shelf and been back out in the woods within a day or two.

It probably sounds like I am coming off a bit selfish and trying to get something for nothing, but am I off base to try and receive a credit to apply towards a newer bow?

I feel that I am being offered slower moving bows that I don’t feel are equivalent to what I had.

Believe me I am very happy to be getting a replacement. I am just not 100% satisfied and that was one of the reasons I went with a PSE a few years ago.

What do you think?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
sounds fishy.if the bow you bought was a "pro series" bow and if they are trying to get you to get a lesser model then i would cry foul.this sounds more like the shop trying to get one over on you.I would talk to PSE directly and start climbing my way till i got my X force if thats what you really want.

· Registered
142 Posts
I think PSE should give you the option to take a replacement of equal value or allow you to add money to upgrade. What difference would it make to PSE if you want to add money to upgrade and that makes you a happy customer that is what PSE should be most concerned with. Keeping a customer happy.

· StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
I can tell you first hand, that is PSE's practice. They will give you a value for your bow to apply toward a bow of comparable value in the current line up if the bow he has no longer has parts available to fix it.

sounds fishy.if the bow you bought was a "pro series" bow and if they are trying to get you to get a lesser model then i would cry foul.this sounds more like the shop trying to get one over on you.I would talk to PSE directly and start climbing my way till i got my X force if thats what you really want.
If you will remember correctly in years past, in the pse line up, alot of the high end bows were not in the "Pro Series" and there were mid-range bow that were in the "Pro-Series". The "Pro Series" is intended for Pro shop only and not box stores.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
new bow

My principal problem with the entire thing is that I am having my bow replaced with a bow I have never shot. How many serious shooters buy a bow without even putting their hands on one? (not that I am one...well....mayne in my own mind :tongue:)

What if feels terrible in my hands? What if I can't shoot it to worth a hoot?

The more I think about it, the more I get frustrated. I am likely going to call PSE directly myself and see what they will do.

Who would take a bow they have never shot or even held?

· Registered
5,401 Posts
My principal problem with the entire thing is that I am having my bow replaced with a bow I have never shot. How many serious shooters buy a bow without even putting their hands on one? (not that I am one...well....mayne in my own mind :tongue:)

What if feels terrible in my hands? What if I can't shoot it to worth a hoot?

The more I think about it, the more I get frustrated. I am likely going to call PSE directly myself and see what they will do.

Who would take a bow they have never shot or even held?
if it doesn't feel good you sell it...you will have a "brand new" bow to sell rather than a 3 year old and you will come out a lot further ahead than you would selling your venom.
you are working yourself up for something that doesn't need to be. the venom sold for about $500 if i remember right and you are getting a comparable bow to it. the venom shot good and is within a few fps in IBO rating to both the rogue and Brute....if you are getting the Rogue X then you are getting a lot faster bow than you had.
sorry for the misfortune but getting a new bow in place of a 3 yr old is a pretty good trade to me.
did you buy the bow from a shop when you got it? was it the same shop you are using now?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trimantrekokc - I understand what you are talking about with getting the new bow and for the most part agree.

My main argument is not being able to shoot it before hand. I have shot many other PSE's and would have no problem with a lot of them.

All comparable bows do not shoot the same. I do not have your typical shooting specs. I am a 25.5" DL, that can handle higher poundage. In the past it has been extremely difficult to find anything down to my DL with anything more than 50#. I know poundage is not everything, but I want as much KE as possible and still be able to make a 40 yard shot.

How would it have been any different than giving me a credit towards a new PSE that I have shot and know I like? I know I can sell it, but now I will be stuck with trying to sell a bow that may or may not sell. I never had any intentions of selling my Venom to upgrade. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting the bow.

I am hoping that it all works out and the bow will shoot fine. Though we do have to mod it to get down to my draw length and then I lose let off. According to PSE I will have 61% let off after the mod. Not too excited about having to hold more weight. I could lower my poundage and change my arrows, but then lose more KE. Trade-offs...

I did by the bow from a PSE shop that was highly recommended by many on the forums. Since then a PSE shop has opened up by a guy who went to school with my younger brother. I took it to him in hopes of just getting a credit and buying a bow off of his shelf and being back in the woods the next day. I also am trying to keep my business local. I traveled a bit out my way to buy the Venom.

· Registered
3,821 Posts
trimantrekokc - I understand what you are talking about with getting the new bow and for the most part agree.

My main argument is not being able to shoot it before hand. I have shot many other PSE's and would have no problem with a lot of them.

All comparable bows do not shoot the same. I do not have your typical shooting specs. I am a 25.5" DL, that can handle higher poundage. In the past it has been extremely difficult to find anything down to my DL with anything more than 50#. I know poundage is not everything, but I want as much KE as possible and still be able to make a 40 yard shot.

How would it have been any different than giving me a credit towards a new PSE that I have shot and know I like? I know I can sell it, but now I will be stuck with trying to sell a bow that may or may not sell. I never had any intentions of selling my Venom to upgrade. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting the bow.

I am hoping that it all works out and the bow will shoot fine. Though we do have to mod it to get down to my draw length and then I lose let off. According to PSE I will have 61% let off after the mod. Not too excited about having to hold more weight. I could lower my poundage and change my arrows, but then lose more KE. Trade-offs...

I did by the bow from a PSE shop that was highly recommended by many on the forums. Since then a PSE shop has opened up by a guy who went to school with my younger brother. I took it to him in hopes of just getting a credit and buying a bow off of his shelf and being back in the woods the next day. I also am trying to keep my business local. I traveled a bit out my way to buy the Venom.
Rudy... Not to come down on you or PSE but dang.... They are giving you a brand new bow for an 05' model that you probably wouldn't get 250.00-300.00 for... You are coming out ahead in this deal... Pick one.. If it isn't to your liking you will be able to sell it for much more than you would have your 05' venom.... I would be tickled with that deal as they are already giving you more than what your old bow is worth IMO... I think they are being more than fair with you... Good luck... Hope it all works out for the good...:darkbeer:

· Registered
5,401 Posts

maybe you could work something out with the shop owner? if you want credit maybe he coul dallow an amount agreed upon by what he could sale the bow for when it gets in? he could sale it as new and you could get something that you've tried? maybe he would allow $300 credit toward the bow of your choice there at the shop. the credit is going to have to be worked out between you and him as the policy for PSE is to repair or replace with similar model. sorry for your problems and hope it works out for you...have you also talked to th eowner of the shop where you bought it? maybe they have a policy in place that could help...

· Registered
902 Posts
Take the 07 Rogue! My draw length is 26" and I'm seeing consistent 245fps over my F1 chrony with 391 gr arrows with the limbs at 70#. I can see speeds in the very low 260's with much lighter arrows (just under 5 gr per inch). This bow is extremely stable, quiet (with the factory Hush kit), and fast considering the short draw lenght. People have asked me time and time again "what bow is that?" "who makes that?" because it is soooooo quiet. The only thing I've added (replaced) concerning the Hush kit was the string chubs. I had the shop put on Bowjax string silencers. My local shop sells them for $399 Hush kit installed but no other accessories. They have sold them as fast as they can get them in and bought a truck load of them when they found out that they were discontinued for '08. I agree with Tsilvers, they are giving you a new bow (the Rogue is a Pro Series) as a replacement (their standard response to warranty issues like yours) so what's the problem? It's not like they are only giving you a Nova. The Rogue is NOT a bargin basement bow, neither is the Brute (a similar bow for the standard lineup).

Oh and what's with the comment-

"I am hoping that it all works out and the bow will shoot fine. Though we do have to mod it to get down to my draw length and then I lose let off. According to PSE I will have 61% let off after the mod. Not too excited about having to hold more weight. I could lower my poundage and change my arrows, but then lose more KE. Trade-offs..."

Uhhhmmmmmmm...........the Rogue and Brute go down to 25" with a module change and can be set at either 80 or 65% let off regardless of draw weight or draw length.
Actually with the 25" module it will go down to 24.75 or up to 25.25. With my 26" module my Rogue will go down to 25.75 or up to 26.25 just by putting the loop on a different post. This does not have any effect on the letoff. Correct the draw weight by turning the limb bolts in or out.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to my Pro Shop guy, the Rogue that they offering only goes down to 26. So I am assuming the bow is the 2008 model. He told me it is not a Pro Series bow, but has similar specs to the venom. From the tune charts on PSE the 2008 is not a Pro Series.

The 2008 Rogue has went back to the non-parallel design and has gained the speed via the cams.

PSE told the shop about a procedure to shorten the draw length. They told him it would have a minor effect on the let off.

I am willing to give the Rogue a shot and hopefully it all works out and I did just have my drawers in a bunch!

· Registered
902 Posts
Rudy1337-

If you are looking at a 2007 Rogue NP, it is a parallel limbed single cam bow that has the fore-mentioned letoff and modual system. Adjusts from 25 to 30". IBO is 298-301 fps. It IS a Pro Series bow. This is the bow I own.

If you are looking at a 2007 Rogue NH then you are looking at a twin cam parallel limbed bow that shoots 298-306 fps. It adjusts via moduals. It is available in 26"-30" with posts that allow for +/- 3/8". 80 or 65% letoff. Pro Series bow.

On the other hand if you are looking at a 2008 Rogue X than you are looking at a 'X' series bow that is available from 26 to 30" and has twin cams and is basically a parallel limbed bow. IBO is 322 fps. Letoff is 70 or 60%. It is in fact a standard or 'Mainline' bow.

The '07 Rogue NH is very uncommon. '07 Rogue NP's are everywhere. I've never seen or handled an '08 Rogue X so I have no opinion. I hope this helps.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...I wish I had something to report, but I have yet to see any bow. Been out of the woods for 2 weeks now.

The deal was...I ship to PSE, they send back replacement bow. They said they would ship it the same in which they receive it.

I paid for over night shipping in the hopes of getting it turned around and being able to hunt by Saturday, October 11...it was shipped to PSE Tuesday, October 7.

Pro Shop was closed on Wednesday, but called PSE today. The bow should be here tomorrow.

Pro Shop was told that the holdup was they had to switch the modules to 26". Now I am not a certified bow technician, but I thought modules can be changed in less than 15 minutes.

So far this has not been what I was expecting for customer service.

· Registered
8,620 Posts
All PSE bows are packaged with 29" mods. So they have to pull it from inventory, send it to warranty and repair, break it open, switch mods, re-package it, and then it goes back to the shipping department. This process isn't all that difficult, but it does take more than 15 minutes. There is a lot going on at the factory right now. I feel for you though, i couldn't be without my bow for two weeks.:sad:

· Registered
181 Posts
I feel for you bro...
I have an '05 Venom that is my goto hunting bow. Quiet, accurate, and rock solid. It has suffered through so much trauma and misfortune on it's adventures with me that I'm amazed it still works. But it does, just as well as when I first got it... much to the chagrin of the local deer populace!
IMHO, the Rogue feels different. It's just not the bow for me.
If you end up feeling the same way about the Rogue, you are way further ahead selling it to raise funds for an X-force than if you had to sell your Venom, even if it was in perfect working order. The value of bows just don't hold very well.
But kudos to PSE! Replacing an almost four year old bow with a brand new one!?! Fantastic! Having a policy like that shows the integrity of the company. It also shows that they must not have to do it very often... :wink:

· Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like the real problem is you are unhappy over the lack of choice and voice in this deal. Not so much that the Rogue is not a good replacement, but that you'd rather upgrade (at your expense) than take the lateral trade.

I'd feel this is a pretty good deal. I have a Venom, but one of the locals shoots a Rogue and that's a damn fast bow. I suggest you jump on it.

Hell, if you dont like it trade for my '05 Venom!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha...envelope...thanks for the offer

Well I got the bow finally yesterday.

Shot it...and love it.
I think I even like it better than the Venom. With a 25.5" draw I am shooting 270fps.

Seems I did have my drawers in a bunch.

Having always shot a bow that was too big for me my entire life (hand me downs) and then getting the Venom was awesome. I bought it because it was backed for life. I thought, that I would always be able to shoot the bow until I wanted to upgrade. I absolutely loved shooting it. Having it crack was a heart breaker and then finding out they couldn't replace the limb sucked even more.

I always advise someone to try before you buy and not having that option was really bothering me. I am glad it worked out.

The Pro Shop is working on getting me a partial refund for the overnight shipping since it sat at PSE for 1 1/2 weeks.

Well I am going to get back outside and get some more shots on the string so it can settle in.

· Registered
50 Posts
Always give PSE the benefit of the doubt. They have a reputation for AWSOME (damn, that word is overused!) customer service. They can't (don't, won't) keep parts for every discontinued model but if your unit is under warranty, PSE will do something, and it will be more than fair.

I have not shot the Rogue, but one of the locals has one and by my seat of the pants estimation, his is one of the fastest bows at the range.

· StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
haha...envelope...thanks for the offer

Well I got the bow finally yesterday.

Shot it...and love it.
I think I even like it better than the Venom. With a 25.5" draw I am shooting 270fps.

Seems I did have my drawers in a bunch.

The Pro Shop is working on getting me a partial refund for the overnight shipping since it sat at PSE for 1 1/2 weeks.
:zip::confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.