Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy have applied for our permits in KS for 2010. I don't imagine we will have a problem getting drawn. We applied for units 8 and 9, planning to hunt the Milford area, and maybe some in unit 19 on some private land. We have a cabin rented in Milford already. We are heading out Oct 29th, for two weeks to hunt archery in the rut. We are planning on getting several days of scouting in before we start hunting. I would imagine we will have to do quite a bit of walking, but that is fine and expected. This will be our first time hunting in KS. So far the biologist that my buddy has been talking to out there has been super friendly and very helpful. We are not expecting to go out there and come back with P&Y bucks, instead we just want to have a good time, get to know the area, and if we are lucky come home with a little meat for the freezer. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
You should have decent luck if just wanting to fill the freezer.
Last season sucked for us though, we didn't see very many nice bucks or even as many deer as normal but could have filled the freezer pretty easy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have decent luck if just wanting to fill the freezer.
Last season sucked for us though, we didn't see very many nice bucks or even as many deer as normal but could have filled the freezer pretty easy.
Good luck!
Don't get me wrong, I would love to harvest a nice buck. But, this is our first year, so I don't have unrealistic expectations. I hunt for meat, but hey, a nice rack is always welcomed.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Kansas is a pretty expensive state just to come hunt for meat. Hopefully you don't come up here and settle for a 1.5 year old to fill the freezer. Anyway, your plan sounds like a plan for success. Take a day or two and scout that area and you will find some promising spots.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kansas is a pretty expensive state just to come hunt for meat. Hopefully you don't come up here and settle for a 1.5 year old to fill the freezer. Anyway, your plan sounds like a plan for success. Take a day or two and scout that area and you will find some promising spots.
I think we will each have roughly 1200 in it (that's everything down to gas, food, etc). Not too bad considering what one can potentially spend. Hoping to purchase an over the counter doe tag a piece. I believe you can do that. Our plan is to scout the first three to four days.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
milford is very good hunting. can get crowded but that is any public land.

i would suggest getting on deer ASAP. as our youth pheasant opens on the 6th of nov. and that area will get pounded with bird hunters.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
milford is very good hunting. can get crowded but that is any public land.

i would suggest getting on deer ASAP. as our youth pheasant opens on the 6th of nov. and that area will get pounded with bird hunters.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!!!!
Hey good info. That's the kinda stuff I am looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Just Do It.....
30,183 Posts
I hope if you are going home with meat and no big rack , its doe meat.

marty

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope if you are going home with meat and no big rack , its doe meat.

marty
Yeah, I don't have any intention of harvesting a buck there that I could harvest in FL. Besides, I don't have anything against doe meat.

·
Just Do It.....
30,183 Posts
Cool.:shade:

PM me when your on your way out.
I am just west of KC.
You are wlcome to stop by and fling some arrows.

marty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts