Archery Talk Forum banner

public hunting around Charlottesville, VA

10348 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  WayBeau
I'm probably gonna end up moving around the middle of next summer for a clinical internship in psychology (kinda like a doctor's residency, sort of). Anyway, one of the places might be Charlottesville, VA at the University of Virginia. I was just wondering if there were any good public hunting lands around there. I looked at the Virginia DNR website and saw one called Radigan, I think. Anybody hunted there? How was it? Thanks!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Charlottesville is great!

Charlottesville is a great place to live - a very nice combination of country & culture. I live there, so I am biased.

As for hunting I don't have experience with the public grounds - I just hunt my place. Albemarle county is loaded (overpopulated) with deer. There's a recent thread on here from HokieHunter about hunting nearby and some folks have recommended the Sherando Lake area.

You'll find a place to hunt. Don't worry.

· Registered
811 Posts
The Rapidan area is surrounded by Shenandoah National Park, which does not allow hunting, so the hunting can be good. Just be prepared to walk a lot and it is rough ground. I read an article a year or two ago on a huge buck killed there by a guy who walked in a mile or so. Just have to get away from the crowds like everywhere. The area is better known for bear hunting, though.

· Registered
276 Posts
Beautiful part of the state, great town(a few celebs have retired there), and tons of deer. I dont drive that far but I have a landscaping friend who lives close to there(Louisa) and has home owners asking him to hunt. He can hunt year around with all the damage tags issued. If I were you, Id drive around looking for deer and then start knocking on doors. Wooded neighborhoods can be great for bowhunters. Farms might be a little harder as most are leased by hunt clubs. Most clubs want more members for due $$$ to secure more property.

· Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I certainly don't mind rough country. I grew up hiking and hunting in Middle and East Tennessee and around deep hollows/high ridges. Works for me. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I'm really hoping that's where I get to go - I have yet to hear anything negative about it.

· Team 32
2,544 Posts
I have yet to hear anything negative about it.
Wahoos. :mad: They're a rather disturbing bunch. I see you may become one. I really feel for you. As a hunter you will not fit in on campus and if you love America, apple pie, and freedom you will feel oppressed. You will struggle through years of football ineptitude and will develop an inferiority complex with respect to the one great university in the state of VA.

Good luck joining the liberal "elite" and don't let that school brainwash you... haha

TIC

· Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TIC,

As a transplant to the Ann Arbor area, I'm all too familiar with football ineptitude (the Lions) and with over the top liberal elitism. So far, not too much of a problem. Also, as a psychotherapist, I might be able to help myself out of that inferiority complex problem! :wink:

I assume by Wahoo's, you mean people associated with UVA?

· Registered
979 Posts
Wahoos. :mad: They're a rather disturbing bunch. I see you may become one. I really feel for you. As a hunter you will not fit in on campus and if you love America, apple pie, and freedom you will feel oppressed. You will struggle through years of football ineptitude and will develop an inferiority complex with respect to the one great university in the state of VA.

Good luck joining the liberal "elite" and don't let that school brainwash you... haha

TIC
i'll second that from experience and on more than one occasion. while wearing hunting related shirts (gold tip and realtree logos) i was questioned as to weather i though it was ethical to kill innocent animals. this was downtown somewhere, the place slips my mind. also wearing va tech apparel, there have been some obscene comments directed towards me. and lastly, most of the people i know that grew up in the area or went to "that school" there looked down on most everyone else like they were uneducated ********. but i've heard there is nice public land hunting around there, good luck!

· Team 32
2,544 Posts
Thanks TIC,

As a transplant to the Ann Arbor area, I'm all too familiar with football ineptitude (the Lions) and with over the top liberal elitism. So far, not too much of a problem. Also, as a psychotherapist, I might be able to help myself out of that inferiority complex problem! :wink:

Well, good luck! haha Yes the University of Thomas Jeffersonites affectionately refer to themselves as Wahoos. Why, I do not know... I don't see the relationship between a man with a sword and tights and a fish, but it's whatever floats their boat.

Do the school a favor while you're their and be a good steward for the hunting community. Maybe your psychotherapy skills can help save that the town from the grasps of the liberals but at least keep your head up!

Hokie

· Team 32
2,544 Posts
Thanks TIC,

Well, good luck! haha Yes the University of Thomas Jeffersonites affectionately refer to themselves as Wahoos. Why, I do not know... I don't see the relationship between a man with a sword and tights and a fish, but it's whatever floats their boat.

Do the school a favor while you're their and be a good steward for the hunting community. Maybe your psychotherapy skills can help save that the town from the grasps of the liberals but at least keep your head up!

Hokie

· Phil-n-Weir'ed
8,382 Posts
I have family that lives all around Charlottesville. I've been hunting that area since I was 12 but all on private land. I do know of a good WMA about 30 min. south of town in Scottsville. Hardware River WMA I've heard is really good and receives hardly any pressure. Good luck. You'll have a better chance of getting on private land in counties other than Albermarle. It's beautiful down there though:)

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Man there's a lot of bashing of the best school, and town, in the state going on here. Yes, it's true the football team is a bit horrendous, but when was the last time you heard of a wahoo being tried in federal court?

Horseman, as a life long resident of Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, as well as a wahoo through and through I'll be the first to say that we could use a few more people on campus that are on the other side of the hunting debate. Like Hokie said, there are a lot of liberal elitists around here, so it'd be good to add one to the good guys' team.

As far as public hunting, you're gonna have to drive for it. Hardware is good, Sherando is supposed to be good (I've never hunted it), and there are other areas north of town if you're willing to drive. The Va Dep. of Game and Inland Fisheries website has a lot of good info on public areas and opportunities.

Let me know if you're heading this way. I'd be glad to show you around.

· Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Waybeau. I'll find out at the end of February where I'm being sent. As far as job opportunities for me and my wife, it's a really good match so I really hope it works out. I'll PM you if I called for an interview; maybe we could meet up (it'll be in January, so don't worry about missing field time!)

· Team 32
2,544 Posts
Man there's a lot of bashing of the best school, and town, in the state going on here. Yes, it's true the football team is a bit horrendous, but when was the last time you heard of a wahoo being tried in federal court?

Horseman, as a life long resident of Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, as well as a wahoo through and through I'll be the first to say that we could use a few more people on campus that are on the other side of the hunting debate. Like Hokie said, there are a lot of liberal elitists around here, so it'd be good to add one to the good guys' team.

As far as public hunting, you're gonna have to drive for it. Hardware is good, Sherando is supposed to be good (I've never hunted it), and there are other areas north of town if you're willing to drive. The Va Dep. of Game and Inland Fisheries website has a lot of good info on public areas and opportunities.

Let me know if you're heading this way. I'd be glad to show you around.
haha I was just TIC my friend! I love the UVA Rivalry and wouldn't want it any other way :wink: My future bro-in-law is UVA through and through so I don't hold anything againt the good ones and I'm all for a little friendly ribbing back and forth! C-ville and the surrounding area is beautiful country and the town is nice as well. It's a fine school although like we've discussed a little too liberal for my taste.

Good luck and have a great hunting season...

P.S. In some ways I envy the UVA fan... You can get a lot more hunting in without that football distraction... TIC.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
haha I was just TIC my friend! I love the UVA Rivalry and wouldn't want it any other way :wink: My future bro-in-law is UVA through and through so I don't hold anything againt the good ones and I'm all for a little friendly ribbing back and forth! C-ville and the surrounding area is beautiful country and the town is nice as well. It's a fine school although like we've discussed a little too liberal for my taste.

Good luck and have a great hunting season...

P.S. In some ways I envy the UVA fan... You can get a lot more hunting in without that football distraction... TIC.
I didn't take anything you said personally, so don't worry. I LOVE the in-state rivalry. :darkbeer: I'll admit, it's too liberal for my blood. Good luck to you as well. I hope you have some luck getting out opening day.

Horseman, sorry to hijack your thread a little. Definitely let me know if you're coming to town, doesn't matter when. Also, what does your wife do? I know a lot of people around C'ville and may be able to hook her up with some contacts if she needed them.

· Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. My wife is completing her master's in information and library science at University of Michigan. She's also got a Master's in Music and is going to build a career in music preservation and archives. I think she's looking at the library of congress music archives in Culpeper (I think), and one of her professor's has contacts at UVA as well.

Any contacts would be greatly appreciated. We're looking for a smallish kind of town with good access to university stuff and lots of outdoors activities. If we don't move to Nashville (my hometown) then a place like Charlottesville certainly seems to have the things we're looking for when settling down.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Hmmm. . . .I'm not sure that I'd be much help after all. Staunton has Mary Baldwin College. It's about 45 minutes west of C'ville and is almost EXACTLY what you're looking for. Small town, college in said small town. The Woodrow Wilson Library is also there. You're closer to the George Washington Nat'l Forest. I don't know how I can sell it any better than that. :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.