Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up to Iowa, Zone 5 to be exact, this year. Looking for any info I can get. I've hunted public land in Northern Missouri for a few years and then I've spent the last couple of years hunting public land in Kansas. So, with that said, I'm not looking for any freebies or anybodies spots. But I am curious about the number of other hunters that frequent these areas?? What kind of deer to expect? (yes, i know it's Iowa) but surely there isn't a giant around every tree. I need something to give me an idea where I should set my goal. I have hunted Iowa in Zone 9 6 years ago, private land, and wow! Does the Iowa DNR plant food plots and manage the public ground like they do in Northern Missouri? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I hunted in zone 5 on public land last fall. There were other hunters there on the weekend, but none during the week. We hunted mid Nov.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
What part of the state is zone 5? I can never remember.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
Never mind, just looked it up. I have never hunted that area, but a lot of public land in Iowa have food plots planted on them by the DNR and a lot of times people farm some of the fields on the public land. Thats a good part of the state, I'd set your goal at around 140".

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't know about Iowa, but I hunt like .5 mile from Iowa line and there may not be monsters around every corner but they have good mass to them. Body weight and antler growth. We have plenty of food around here and its nutritional from the way it looks the food they eat is crucial in antler growth. What made you sway from public land in Missouri and what public areas did you use?

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I have hunted a lot of the public in Zone 5. Depending on where you go and how far your willing to walk, you will be in to good deer. About the biggest I have seen is 180s but realistically I wouldn't pass the first 150s that walks by. I would stay away from any food plots planted. Just about everyone hunts them. Get back and away from the crowd in the thick nasty stuff and you will be fine. Sit all day as well. You most likely will not have an issue with people at all. Especially throughout the week. Hope for cold weather and you will be set. Haven't had a bit of luck with rattling, seems like everyone does it. Grunting and doe bleating does work though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Liv's got you pointed in the right direction. Make sure you get back there as far as you can to get away from everyone else.

We don't have alot of public land in my area of SE Iowa, but what there is, is pretty good. I hunted public alot a few years back. Before the rut i was pretty much the only one in the parking lot except another truck or two on the weekends. When the rut rolls around, there were at least 3 or 4 others in the parking lot on weekends. Sometimes no one else during the week. When shotgun season rolls around, forget about it. There's not enough room in the lots for everyone.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about Iowa, but I hunt like .5 mile from Iowa line and there may not be monsters around every corner but they have good mass to them. Body weight and antler growth. We have plenty of food around here and its nutritional from the way it looks the food they eat is crucial in antler growth. What made you sway from public land in Missouri and what public areas did you use?
Way to many other people. I had good luck in Missouri and really enjoyed hunting there, just didn't like the crowdiness.

Thanks guys for the info.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
I have hunted a lot of the public in Zone 5. Depending on where you go and how far your willing to walk, you will be in to good deer. About the biggest I have seen is 180s but realistically I wouldn't pass the first 150s that walks by. I would stay away from any food plots planted. Just about everyone hunts them. Get back and away from the crowd in the thick nasty stuff and you will be fine. Sit all day as well. You most likely will not have an issue with people at all. Especially throughout the week. Hope for cold weather and you will be set. Haven't had a bit of luck with rattling, seems like everyone does it. Grunting and doe bleating does work though.
Great advice

·
Land of the Giants!!
4,374 Posts

OP...if you do not do your very utmost best to live and breathe this advice to a 100% T....then you are doing yourself a major disservice. These words are spot on...if you do precisely this....you are nearly guarenteed to have an encounter with an Iowa stud.

GL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts