Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunted some public land last night and saw nine deer. So I go down this morning and sit in the stand I placed. Right at light some guy comes in and spooked three deer headed my way. After that he tries to kick me out of my stand by saying that it is his. I tell him that on public land all stands are first come first served. At this point he starts screaming at me to get out of his stand or he is going to call the Fish and Game Warden, I tell him to go ahead. As he returns to his vehicle and drives down the road i unlock MY stand and take it back to my truck and leave the area.

Guess it is back to private land the rest of the season. The only thing is a big four point crosses the public land before going onto the private land. Now what do I do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
I would of got his licsence plate # and called the game warden or CO myself and report him. In MN that is harrassment to another hunter and he would of got a ticket and fine. I hate hunters that claim public land for themself. I don't care if you have been hunting there for 100 years, if it's public I'm hunting there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Twolf said:
I would of got his licsence plate # and called the game warden or CO myself and report him. In MN that is harrassment to another hunter and he would of got a ticket and fine. I hate hunters that claim public land for themself. I don't care if you have been hunting there for 100 years, if it's public I'm hunting there.


RIGHT :darkbeer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Should've Blunted Him!

Not really, but it makes you wish you had one in your quiver. I love hunting public land but agree that guys like that should have their license revoked. Luckily for me the confrontations are almost non-existant with fellow archers but the rifle season is a different story. Keep your chin up and keep after that buck. The other guy will either get the point that he doesn't own the land or he'll learn to get along. Don't let someone like that influence your season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
public land

If it was a stand you owned and hung, the jerk does not have the right to claim it as his own just because he accidently found it. I hunt some public areas that have a good number of deer and some quality. I had done the scouting weeks in advance, walked in to the place with my stand in hand and hung it. Another hunter was sitting 30yds away and waited until I set the stand to say something. I was ticked off because the sorry sucker let me fight that dad gum stand before letting me know he was there. Oh well, that is public land hunting for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Twolf said:
I would of got his licsence plate # and called the game warden or CO myself and report him. In MN that is harrassment to another hunter and he would of got a ticket and fine. I hate hunters that claim public land for themself. I don't care if you have been hunting there for 100 years, if it's public I'm hunting there.

I agree.


It's a dang shame when hunters can't get along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
If it was your stand and not his, then I wouldve let him have it.

It is public land. First come, first serve.

I have scouted out areas before and thought I had them to myself. Then at a later date another hunter beat me to it. Sure I got mad and a little upset but I never confronted them about it. They beat me in there, so I moved onto another spot. Just some of the adventures of hunting public land.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Was he bigger than you?
I know a good way to cure his problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
there is always some lazy bum looking to take advantage of somebodys hard work even if he beat you to the stand in the morning if it was your stand he should have enough sence to atleast give it to you sounds like poor sport to me.why did you leave when he threatened to call the wardens i would have gladly explained to them his harasment and claiming something that was not his. this guy needs attitude ajust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Next time you go out look around the area again. I bet he set a stand up just like yours and was in the wrong location. Nobody's that big of a jerk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,240 Posts
Public land hunting tips ...

Work on the week end if you can and Try and get off work during Mon-Fri to hunt .

Next, find hard to get too spots ..use a canoe ,kayak, Jon boat ,mountain bike etc..The more you can stay away from everyone the better ..and if you
go in earlier and deeper ..
Then As the others come in they may push deer to you .


look for really thick areas ..and cut you a hiden path and shooting lanes in there ..before season if you can ...

Don't let others see where you go .

Use fertilizer spikes to sweeten up some pick out acorn trees in 3 or 4 spots .

Always try and have a few spots picked out every time you hunt . Just in case . some one beat you there .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Typical (unfortunately)

I've had similar experiences. I've been fortunate enough to get permission to hunt a good bit of private land, but the closest tract is 1 1/2 hours away. So when I can only hunt sun-up to noon or noon till dark, I go to some public places near me.

It seems there's always someone who acts like they leased a certain tree or trail and you have no business being there. Then there's the dirty looks from hunters driving past your parking spot when you're coming out or going in. You ask if they've had any luck (if they bother to stop) and all you get is "No......scowl.....mumble...blah,blah" drive off mad.

There was one exception a few years back. Evidently a guy and his son (probably 12 or 13 years old) had scouted the same spot as me. I had been in the stand since o'dark-thirty when they came down the trail right at sun-up. The kid was noticeably disappointed to see me, but his dad just smiled at me, waved, and they turned to head out. The kid had his bow and all new camo and pack and his dad was lugging the ladder stand (no bow)..........I couldn't turn them away. I told them to wait, got down and wished them luck. I took my climber to another spot where I arrowed a doe within the first hour I was there. I passed their parking spot on my way out just in time to see them dragging out a pretty nice six pointer. I stopped and swapped stories with them. It was the kid's first deer ever!! I felt pretty good about what I did, so did the kids dad. The guy offered me what money he had with him. I declined, shook both of their hands, and left.

Isn't that the way we should be as hunters? Especially to each other? If we see that someone has beaten us to a stand site, shouldn't we just wave (with ALL fingers extended) and turn and go? It's different if they'r squatting on YOUR treestand, but if it's just "your" spot on public land..........come on, be a grown-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
You were hunting out of a portable stand that you put up? Or was it a permanent stand? I know when we use to hunt near and sometimes on public land we would build stands and of course always had to have someone sit in the stands that we had built. We understood that it was on public land but, still these guys knew what stands we had built and where we hunted and they just had no respect what so ever. I would just say if you know that the guy built the stand and you know he hunts there then just respect that even if it is on public land. It's not worth fighting over and having something serious happen like getting shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
JASON MYERS said:
I hunted some public land last night and saw nine deer. So I go down this morning and sit in the stand I placed. Right at light some guy comes in and spooked three deer headed my way. After that he tries to kick me out of my stand by saying that it is his. I tell him that on public land all stands are first come first served. At this point he starts screaming at me to get out of his stand or he is going to call the Fish and Game Warden, I tell him to go ahead. As he returns to his vehicle and drives down the road i unlock MY stand and take it back to my truck and leave the area.

Guess it is back to private land the rest of the season. The only thing is a big four point crosses the public land before going onto the private land. Now what do I do?
sounds like pennsylvania
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,752 Posts
buckhunter2054 said:
You were hunting out of a portable stand that you put up? Or was it a permanent stand? I know when we use to hunt near and sometimes on public land we would build stands and of course always had to have someone sit in the stands that we had built. We understood that it was on public land but, still these guys knew what stands we had built and where we hunted and they just had no respect what so ever. I would just say if you know that the guy built the stand and you know he hunts there then just respect that even if it is on public land. It's not worth fighting over and having something serious happen like getting shot.
Sorry but I have to disagree here. It is public land and because you built a stand in one place means no one else can hunt there ever????:confused: The public ground near me doesn't even allow you to leave a stand overnight because that would be claiming a spot in the woods that should go to the person that gets their first in the morning and NOT to whomever leaves their stand there the longest. IMO if you build a stand on public ground then you are just inviting anyone else to hunt their that wants too. Now that said...game laws in your state might allow you to do this but is it really fair to the other hunters that you "claim" a spot for 10 years just because you happened to build a stand there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Sorry but I have to disagree here. It is public land and because you built a stand in one place means no one else can hunt there ever????:confused: The public ground near me doesn't even allow you to leave a stand overnight because that would be claiming a spot in the woods that should go to the person that gets their first in the morning and NOT to whomever leaves their stand there the longest. IMO if you build a stand on public ground then you are just inviting anyone else to hunt their that wants too. Now that said...game laws in your state might allow you to do this but is it really fair to the other hunters that you "claim" a spot for 10 years just because you happened to build a stand there?
I agree with FULLTIMEHUNTER..... If you built a stand on public land you are building it for every other hunter that hunts there. In MN if you built a stand or hung a stand on public land, other hunters can use it if they want to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
If you had the option to hunt private then I would do it. I don't public hunt very much unless its for ducks or doves and you run into jerks on public ground all the time. Its usually a local that thinks the public ground is his for some reason. But yea if I was you and had some private to hunt, I'd just stick with it.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top