Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have a house just outside Orlando in St. Cloud, FL that I can use free of charge anytime. I have considered flying down in spring turkey season and staying for a long weekend. I was wondering from anyone who has hunted Osceola turkeys in Fl. is it worth the cost of the license and flight to hunt them on public land and is there any good public land that holds a good number of birds within an hour or so drive of Orlando? I don't mind spending the money and using a few vacation days if there is good turkey hunting on public land, but don't want to waste the time and money if the hunting on public land is terrible. I have always wanted to shoot an Osceola and wondering if public land is the way to go or if I am better off saving my money and going with an outfitter?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've spent the last two winter and spring seasons down in the Orlando Florida. While I haven't hunted for turkeys down there, what I have heard is this:

The public ground (non quota areas) get hit very hard during the season. The birds get pretty pressured, so it will make your job harder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Three Lakes and Bull Creek are a reasonable drive from St. Cloud, don't require a quota, but they get a lot of weekend pressure. If you're patient, apply for a quota or special opportunity hunt next year. Triple N Ranch is one of the special opp hunts and it has a strong number of birds. myfwc.com and look under limited entry hunts.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks duskydog! I will look into the special opportunity hunt. The hunt doesn't have to be this spring. I just would like to get an Osceola bird at some point.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
they get a lot of pressure, and people over call not understanding that the Osceola's don't talk as much as an eastern. if you are looking for an outfitter just PM me and i can give you a legit guide down here

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not for this year. I am going to enter the application for the special opportunity hunt next year and if I don't get drawn I have received an offer from a fellow AT member who has been kind enough to take me out.

·
Banned
487 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1395240709782.jpg Does this help? He was in the parking lot of the golf course in St. Cloud. Big Tom! He put on a show for a hen that was laying near. Awesome sight!

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Got this one in the big bend Jena unit yesterday. Might be an Osceola might not.by the primary feather it sure looks to be one.maybe one of the Osceola experts on can help me identify it

Attachments

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Here is the wing feathers

Attachments

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
thanks bro , i hope it is .this was my second season trying to get one on public land
I'm certainly no expert but that definitely looks like an Osceola wing to me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That looks like a full Osceola - they don't read maps that well. I've got them north of I-10 but you get more hybrids north of the line.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
Got this one in the big bend Jena unit yesterday. Might be an Osceola might not.by the primary feather it sure looks to be one.maybe one of the Osceola experts on can help me identify it
Congrats on another bloody Rage Digger brother!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Three Lakes and Bull Creek are a reasonable drive from St. Cloud, don't require a quota, but they get a lot of weekend pressure. If you're patient, apply for a quota or special opportunity hunt next year. Triple N Ranch is one of the special opp hunts and it has a strong number of birds. myfwc.com and look under limited entry hunts.
My cousin and I hunted bull creek opening day. He took a gobbler, I took nothing. Did see a gobler and a couple jakes but could not get them close enough with the bow. He used his 12 ga. I am hunting private land this evening and a few more days in the near future. I have seen tons of turkey (20+ bearded) here. I am sitting in the blind as we speak. So fat just a couple hens no beards.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Thanks brother .these 80ke rage digger you sent have brought me nothing but good luck
Congrats on another bloody Rage Digger brother!

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Good luck.
My cousin and I hunted bull creek opening day. He took a gobbler, I took nothing. Did see a gobler and a couple jakes but could not get them close enough with the bow. He used his 12 ga. I am hunting private land this evening and a few more days in the near future. I have seen tons of turkey (20+ bearded) here. I am sitting in the blind as we speak. So fat just a couple hens no beards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts