Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have grew up hunting public land and prefer to hunt it, never really had any private land to hunt. I think its a lot more exciting and more challenging than hunting private land in my opinion. You never kno what is going to walk up on you out there. What do you prefer to hunt?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Private! nothing like making your own plots, putting up your stands, having u and ur family only hunting by your side ect... nothing like it imo

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hunt a bit of private and alot of public. In my part of MN there are several very large tracts of public hardwoods. It all gets heavily hunted but not many hunters go way back in the thick sh** and there is nothing more satisfying than dragging a big buck out of places many many hunters either haven't even seen or haven't dared to attempt to hunt. But private land has the perk of the opportunity to manage deer and let bucks grow, and know who else is hunting there, whereas most public land I hunt is full of hunters who shoot every buck, young or mature, doe, and even fawn they can shoot at. Not to be hatin though, they've got freezers to fill and are enjoying their rights to the land as much as I am. It's just tough to pass on a young forkhorn knowing that the other hunter he's walking towards is gonna put him on the pole. Either way, the challenge makes the rewards all the more gratifying.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Depends.

I have had many more shot opportunities on public.

But, the private I am on now is a small corridor. Seen less deer while out hunting.

But, the last private land we hunted was 80 some acres and we (4 of us) tagged out before rut hit. That was awesome. Course the land was sold the following year and new owner is a hunter. Cant blame him for not wanting to share. Of 6 bucks taken, smallest was 130".

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
My family owns several thousands of acres yet I hunt public land almost 100% of the time, its just a more satisfying challenge for me.
Each to his own I guess.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I have grew up hunting public land and prefer to hunt it, never really had any private land to hunt. I think its a lot more exciting and more challenging than hunting private land in my opinion. You never kno what is going to walk up on you out there. What do you prefer to hunt?
I am with ya bud, had private to hunt one rifle season and that was the only year I never got a buck since I was Twelve, spent most the season kicking off trespassers lol Never again!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Private land is my preference, and hunted private for the last 15 yrs. Ironically, my first bow kill was on public land down the street from me.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I will hunt what is available to me. For the big bucks give me private land.

·
Back down to ground level
16,100 Posts
I look for public land that few people know about, or big enough to get back in away from the crowds. I like to explore.
Hunting clubs have the few big pieces of private land left around here. I have a few small pieces of private to hunt, but I don't like sitting in someones backyard.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Public only for me. I've never had access to private land, it seems that every parcel of land I try to get permission to is reserved for hunting by the owner and their family.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have no access to private land, so public for me. What I do like about public land, is the quantity and the variety. What I don't like, is the vast number of hunters. But still, archery season is long, and I often go for long periods without seeing more than about one to two hunters, and you can use those to your favor as well. Gonna buy me a huge spread when I hit the lotto!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I hunt both, I really like the 30,000 acres of public ground down the road about 2 miles. really good for archery. it is managed. they do gun hunt it but just about 7 days a year.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I only have public land to hunt but if given the choice it would be private land hands down. To be able to leave stands up and put in food plots, let alone allow deer to walk and make it another year sounds like a dream. I won't personally take a yearling buck but lots, and lots of public land hunters around here will in a heart beat. And to hunt unpressured deer? Whats that like? lol

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I hunt both. Had mild success on both.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i hunt both but i love my public land hunting. everytime my friends and i drag a hawg buck out of public land feels more rewarding to us. last year i shot a mid 130 8 pointer and everyone one thought i shot it on my private land nope public, feels good killing a mature buck that way no food plots, no baitpiles el natural.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts