·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do u get in shape to pull a bow back

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
For most adult men without previous injury, I would say that drawing a bow isnt something you need to 'get in shape for'. For smaller statured shooters, children, etc or people with injuries, I think starting at a lower weight and just shooting a bunch and SLOWLY increasing is the key to becoming comfortable.

If you're having a hard time pulling back your bow, you're shooting MUCH too high a draw weight and should just lower it and start from there....some people think they have to be a 'man' and draw 70++ pounds, but I'd much rather shoot at 55lbs and be accurate and comfortable after a day of shooting....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Amen to that!!!!!!! Being comfortable and accurate WILL beat straining and shaky any day.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,437 Posts
hawgkiller said:
how do u get in shape to pull a bow back
hawgkiller:

That's a very good question actually.

Always a good idea to warm up the shoulder muscles
before you take the first shot of the day.

Just a few jumping jacks
and some big swings of your arms (windmills).

Olympic recurve shooters have a much higher holding weight
and shoot hundreds of training shots a day.

If you have some dumbbells,
then dumbbell rows are a good exercise.

I shoot a 62-lb Rytera Bullet X compound bow,
and a 46-lb Olympic recurve.

To keep in training for the recurve,
I train at 120% of my recurve holding weight,
so basically, 46-lbs of draw for one arm,
so I train at 60 lbs per arm with a rowing machine at the gym
or a total of 120 lbs.

With the dumb bells,
I would start at a lower weight and work my way up.

Say, a 20-lb dumb bell.,
One knee on a low bench or dining room chair.
Hand on the table for support.
Back flat and parallel to the ground.
Lift the dumb bell handle to your arm pit
and then let down and let your arm hang.

Pull the handle to your arm pit again,
and then let down.

Doing this exercise with lighter weight
and good technique is better than
using heavier weight and not pulling the
dumb bell handle right up to the arm pit.

http://www.haverford.edu/athletics/Strengthandconditioning/exercisedemos.htm

Look up Dumb-Bell 1-Arm Rows
and you will see a small video file
demonstrating this exercise.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I've worked thru the sore mucles over the past few months, but, did something a couple weeks ago, to my elbow on my draw arm, let it rest a few days, went and shot 30 arrows two days ago...now, I still can't hardly pick up a soda can due to gripping pain in the top of the elbow, just above the "funny bone" slot....it sucks! I'm defenitly going to do some warm ups, if I ever get to draw my bow again... :(

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
A good test to see if you are drawing a proper weight is to sit on the floor and then draw back your bow. If you have to struggle with the weight you are drawing too much weight!

Another way to tell is if you have to point the bow to the sky in order to draw it back you are drawing too much weight!

Dick

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yeah finding a good weight is the key. I can shoot 64-65lbs all day long and really not feel that sore. But give me a 70lb bow and after 20 minutes I get tired and I feel it in my shoulders.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You could try something like ...

http://www.bowfit.com/index.html

Also you don't necessarily need a bow requiring "Hercules" strength to draw back in order to shoot well.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I use a green theraband wrapped around a post at the gym. I pull 20 times very steadily with each arm 4 days a week.

In addition to a shoulder surgery when I was 22, I also have a couple cracked vertebrae (L3 and L5). I have started doing Yoga Conditioning for Athletes by Rodney Yee, and it has helped with both my shoulders and back. Don't laugh. If you can make it through that workout yourself without sweating like a pig or falling or your face, you are a better man (or woman) than I.

·
Registered
238 Posts
2 foot piece of pipe and a short bungy connected to both ends, add a 3 or 5 pound weight to the bottom of the pipe to strengthen the holding arm. Pull on bungy as if pulling bow and hold for extended period of time.........No damage if you dry fire, but watch your arm..............

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
never thought about it....

Never really thought about it, alot of good pointers here.. but I shoot my bow a 100 time plus more before deer season than during season with 3D and practicing... may go days and not shoot during deer season though!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts