Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned many years ago that when I tightened back muscles I could get the shot to break well. I am trying to learn the newer pull through method. My question is what to do with back muscles? Are they relaxed?
Or are they tightened before starting pull through? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
"Thightening back muscles" basically is the "pull through method"

When people talk about "pulling through" they mean shooting while actively applying back tension. If you want to trigger the release only through back tension, you need to learn a new way to interact with this. This is done slightly differently depending on the type of release you use

·
Registered
29 Posts
The pull through method basically utilizes your back muscles as you make the shot. Instead of tightening them when you get to full draw, you tighten them slowly as you are making the shot. Thumb/hinge releases and tension releases are more evident in this method. Tension releases are really good in training this to get it consistent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have the name of method wrong. I have read on here of a method that after anchoring you start to pull harder with elbow to get release to fire. I was curious if you use any back tension with this method.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It is phisycally impossible to pull with your elbow. The elbow is a joint. Muscles do the pulling. The two muscles that flex and unflex your elbow are the bicep and tricep. When you are at full draw, your elbow is basically completely bent (bicep at full contraction)

What people mean by pulling with the elbow, is moving the elbow. Since your bicep is already at full contraction, the way you move your elbow is by pulling on your entire shoulder unit with your back muscles.

I agree with the recommendation to look up John Dudley, who explains it much better than me.

You could also look up George Ryals "Thing a Week" on YouTube. He has one specifically on using back tension

Pulling through and back tension are the same thing, just using different words

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
Levi Morgan also does a decent job of explaining this in his target panic video series (I think it's in video #4)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,734 Posts
what i found works for me is not so much of focusing on pulling my back muscles together rather than pulling my hand/elbow straight back at an object directly behind me. you will engage your back muscles to do this because the scapula has to retract (meaning you are using the same "back tension" muscles). that's just what works for me, also shooting with a relaxed release hand has done me wonders

1 - 9 of 9 Posts