Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat in the ground blind this morning (temp was 5 degrees), about a half hour after first light a group of 5 toms came through. I've been sitting on my tag all fall and didn't think I'd fill it. Took one broadside at 18 yards. Hit where I was aiming, high and forward in the wing, I could see the arrow hanging out as the 5 birds casually walked away. He made it about 40 yards and fell over. My arrow only made it to the center of the body, the one breast was cut up pretty well, the far side untouched. Almost no blood on the snow. I would like better results next time, that being said, it was a great hunt and I'm excited to use my tag up on the final stretch of the season. I plan on spring turkey hunting with my bow, I'd prefer not to shoot for the head with a huge bullhead or anything like that. My only other turkey archery kill was a small hen that I took from above with a Grave Digger through the base of the neck.
My setup : Bear Carnage at 63# 28DL 450gr total weight with Nap Killzones.

Thanks!

20171224_084628.jpg

·
Registered
11,650 Posts
Rage trypans penetrate much better than killzones and would be a great choice.my favorite turkey broadhead is the grim reaper Wts but if was nocking an arrow for a hunt that I had a chance at a deer or turkey the Trypan would be a easy choice for me.congrats on the turkey.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Congrats on a nice bird. Your set up should out penetrate mine and most likely will next time. My turkey set up is a 58# bow with 370 grain arrow and 125 NAP Gobbler Getter, which is meant to limit penetration. I shot this year's bird at 19 yards hard quartering away and had 1/3 the arrow sticking out the far side. At 5 deg. maybe your bird was half frozen. Some times we make good shots with poor results that nobody can explain.
If you hit the upper wing bone that's very hard and may limit penetration.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have never turkey hunted with a bow but i am shocked that that setup didnt blow through the turkey like nothing.
The only explanation i can come up with is that when you hit a turkey with a big mechanical head it just pushed the turkey back rather than cut through it. If anyone has a better explanation i would like to hear it.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Feathers are amazing shock absorbers when layered.. no two turkey shots are the same, the results you got are what a lot of people look for, come straight up the legs next time mid body, I bet you get a pass thru and the bird doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I will look into different broadheads for the spring hunt. Shooting through the wing (2 layers of feathers and bone) and into a 3rd layer of feathers and stopping against the bone that divides the breasts must absorb more energy than I initially thought. Forgot to mention, he weighed 20.4# and 10.75" beard. My 2nd biggest and biggest with bow.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feathers are amazing shock absorbers when layered.. no two turkey shots are the same, the results you got are what a lot of people look for, come straight up the legs next time mid body, I bet you get a pass thru and the bird doesn't go anywhere.
I will aim straight up from the legs next time. Whether it passes through or not, I'd prefer it dies sooner.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Turkeys can take an arrow like a champ. Especially if you hit that joint in their wing.

I like to take head on shots or straight facing away. For me, it helps me know exactly where the vitals are. Broadside shots on a turkey can be tricky with how many feathers they have compared to the relative small kill zone.

My arrows weigh about 415 or so and love shooting em with a 100 grain nap spitfire. I don’t always get a complete pass thru’s. But with the spitfires they usually just drop anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
I shoot turkeys with my deer setup. Like was said earlier, no two turkeys are the same. I shoot 29.5 inches @ 72 lbs and 508 grains. Sometimes I blow through them and the arrow is 30 yds behind the turkey. Sometimes I get 6 inches of penetration. No rhyme or reason as to why

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Shot my spring bird this year iwht my bow... center punched it, right thru the breadbox... it also made it about 40 yards, destroyed almost one entire breast... insides were destroyed....

Next year, sorry to say, I'm sticking with gun for birds most likely... I used a Rage Extreme, blew a gigantic holes in the bird...

·
Registered
17,766 Posts
Its like shooting a pillow! I have nearly bounced an arrow of a bird at 5 yards, hit a tom front on and only the broadhead penetrated, it was stuck into the knobby breast bone I assume, the bird hit the dirt and sat there for a minute, I was reloading and trying to get a shot at another bird, the one I shot got to his feet and took off like a road runner, found my arrow lying there broken off at the broadhead!

One other bird was shot broadside in the wing butt, cut his wing clean off, the arrow penetrated less than 2 inches, never found that bird either. Both were shot with bows in the mid 60s and both of those bows had taken multiple birds.

Another thing you need to consider is the possibility that the arrow on a solid hit like that literally moves the bird and all the energy is not transferred into penetrating, only explanation I can think of, these are the only 2 times it happened to me out of 25 plus birds with a bow. Both were large cutting 3 bladed mechanical heads. Most times I do not get pass through's on turks.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,044 Posts
A lot just depends on how the feathers interact with the broadhead. If they ball up on it then penetration will be severely hindered. I’ve seen every kind of hit imaginable and you can’t say one will pass through or one won’t.

I don’t want my arrow to stay in. Give me a pass through every time but when I used mech heads I probably averaged about 75% on pass throughs with a 60# ish bow and 400ish gr arrow.

I’ve used bullheads only for about the last 6 or 7 years and they die on contact. Shot placement is self explanatory and the birds don’t run far with their head chopped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts