Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pure back tension release with a safety. What are some of the good ones?

Automan

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
as far as getting a bt with a safety goes the tru ball line is deffinetly coming to mind. i just dont think it is worth it to get one with a safety take the time ans set aside ne of your nerves n learn to shoot without it and you will save some time in the long run.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I have a Tru-ball Sweet spot 3.It has a safety. It's real easy to use. Hook the loop, pull back, get anchored hit the safety lever and start your BT. You'll like it. I got it here on AT for 80$.

·
registered archer
3,253 Posts
Stan Superxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got my new Tru Ball Ultra 4. Great release! I don't know if you have tried a safetyless BT yet. Man, they're the best. At first, I was a little intimidated about shooting with those releases, heard some horror histories of self-K.O.'s and stuff, but once I've got familiar with the mechanism, wow, everything went so natural. Is not that easy to punch yourself, you know? I think safety devices ad a little extra to think about when you're at full anchor.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been shooting the Tru Ball Ultra 4 and it is working fine, I just have a problem with the occasional misfire before I am totally set and ready to shoot. I have shot a few goose eggs and am wondering if a safety would help.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Automan

·
33,181 Posts
I would think the safety would definately help with the misfires. The first BT release I bought did not have the safety, I only shot it about three times. The first two ended up in the floor joists and the third one, well I got a fat lip on that one. I was very reluctant to get another, but am glad I did. With the safety, it has increased my scores tremendously!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would go some place and try some. Not all releases fit the same. It depends on your hand size, etc.

The biggest problem I see and had with back tension release is too much draw length and poundage. You need some holding weight to really get it off well. I currently use about 50-55 lbs and 65% modules. The reason is quite simple the reason it goes off accidentally is not having control of the release all the time. If you have too long of a draw, you don't have any place to pull to.

I used the Sweet Spot II ultra 4 for a while and I tried a friends Carter Solution 2.5. Both of these have a safety. I am shooting Stan Micro 3's now without safeties. The safety may be necessary until you get use to them. Then they become a problem because it takes time away from aiming.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Ivorytooth said:
Carter Solution 2.5

I second that. I have been using the Solution 2.5 since spring and like it very much. The safety is easy to use and not inconvenient. There is no need to move to a release without it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
And a third on the Carter 2.5 or 2.75. Excellent releases.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
automan26 said:
I have been shooting the Tru Ball Ultra 4 and it is working fine, I just have a problem with the occasional misfire before I am totally set and ready to shoot. I have shot a few goose eggs and am wondering if a safety would help.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Automan
Have you tried making your release a little less sensitve? I'd say that would take care of the misfires, and all you would have to do is pull through your shot a little harder. I shoot pure BT and I shot with a guy a couple weeks ago that had one with a safety. After watching him a few times, I figure that style of release would have me flinching every time I hit the saftey.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The Sweet Spot series from Tru-Ball are excellent safety releases. Whatever you get, be sure to avoid setting it hot. BT releases, or any releases for that matter, are not designed to shoot when set right on the edge. That gives away the advantage that releases provide. Set it relatively slow and use that BT to aim solidly with firm BT. This will avoid the dreaded TP caused by hot releases.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Carter Solution 2.75 !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts