Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to bow hunting looking to purchase my first compound bow, looking for quality entry level bow for hunting, don't mind paying a bit extra for needed quality. From what research I have done I am between the Diamond 320 Edge RAK and PSE Stinger (open to other opinions as well). Everyone seems to point me in the direction of the Diamond, but my closest bow shop only carries PSE they claim the Stinger is basically the PSE version of the Diamond Edge 320 and accessories are even better(sales pitch maybe? i don't know). The PSE is a bit more expensive but relatively close in terms of price. The PSE dealer/bow shop is aprox 45 min drive the vs next closest dealer/shop is 90 minutes + away. My instinct is to go with the 320 Edge but at the same time it would be nice to have PSE tuning and warranty support closer to home. Any suggestions/ thoughts/ other options would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a Mission Switch with whisker biscuit/sight (have a Fuse sight I can add in there for additional cost) with a small stab which would make a great starter compound bow set up. It is adjustable on Draw length and Draw Weight.

Let me know if you'd like pics

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I enjoy my Diamond Edge SB-1 and have no experience with the Edge 320. Here's an excellent review of the two bows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRF6JfnKlAA

But having said that, if I was buying my first bow, it would be definitely be a Diamond Carbon Knockout. I have one and it is light in the hand, able to have its draw length adjusted and shoots straight and accurate. Mine is the 40# version. I realize it is geared toward women, but I could care less. I needed a bow that would go easy one my damaged shoulders (both had to be surgically repaired after a motorcycle wreck in 2003) and the Knockout is it. I can not draw more than about 45# and that hurts me. So, all my bows are backed down to around 36-37 pounds and I really enjoy shooting them. The knockout comes in s a 50# and 60# version, also, in case you plan to hunt with it. I don't hunt, because I'm a right leg amputee, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Knockout as a hunting bow. All my bows are great shooters, but the Carbon Knockout has become my favorite.

I bought mine from Lancaster Archery on the 15th of last month. It came "ready to shoot" - all I did was adjust the height of the peep, back it down to 37# and start shooting to zero the sight they supplied. However, I have replaced their sight with a Spot Hogg Grinder and their whisker biscuit with a QAD Ultra HDX rest.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 9.17.23 PM.png

·
Registered
427 Posts
At least take a look at the products of Gearhead Archery. They have done some very interesting developments with compound bow structure. Just google Gearhead Archery.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I suggest buying a bow that you have actually shot. You will get lots of "buy from classifieds" responses. Good idea if you knew exactly what bow you liked. You may end up going through 3-4 bows before you find the one., Or worse yet, THINK you are very happy with your bow, not knowing there are bows that better suit/fit you. IMO it is worth the trip just to shoot different bow style. I would never buy a bow model that I have never shot. And I bought my first compound in 1975.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If I were you I would check out a bowtech revolt x or a bowtech reckoning.
If you are new to archery you probably don’t know how to tune a bow or how to use a press.
Once the cam timing is set( mine was dead on from the factory) you can do the rest of your tuning from you front yard with nothing but an Allen wrench.
It makes tuning a breeze for experienced and inexperienced archers alike.
I highly recommend the deadlock system from bowtech.
It will save you a ton of time and frustration as a new archer.
It’s either that or buy a press and learn all the in’s and outs of tuning yourself.
I never had a press ( probably should have) so I spent countless hours back and forth to the bow shop to try and get my bow tuned. They will paper tune a bow from where you buy it but that’s only a starting point.
Bare shaft tuning is where it’s at and the deadlock system from bowtech makes the process super simple.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
324 Posts
One place that can be a great research tool is YT. In particular shauns outdoor adventures and Steven... Hair? Haan? from archery supplies. Both have a bunch of bow reviews and are extremely knowledgeable. I used their reviews, amongst others, and ended up with a pse brute force lite which i love. I believe it's a step up from the stinger and I found one in the classifieds for a great deal. Shaun has an episode where he shows that he actually keeps an edge 320 as his backup. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two diamond edge sb1. It's the first bowl that I started shooting good. I've had other bows. I recommend it to everyone who's new to the sport. And you don't have to take a loan out to buy it. I'm sure the edge 320 is just as nice. Sean's outdoor adventures on YouTube is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I have two diamond edge sb1. It's the first bowl that I started shooting good. I've had other bows. I recommend it to everyone who's new to the sport. And you don't have to take a loan out to buy it. I'm sure the edge 320 is just as nice. Sean's outdoor adventures on YouTube is very helpful.
Agree, my SB-1 was the bow that showed me my draw length was actually 25 inches and not 26 as I thought, and that I preferred under-40# bows. Funny you should mention Sean's outdoor adventures, because the YouTube link I gave in Post #3 was to Sean's Outdoor Adventures. Sean has many great videos on YT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're starting out, the extra price will be worth it in terms of shop support/advice - small things just like stretch in the string and adjusting your peep makes it worth while.

Otherwise, I vote for SB-1. Also checkout the Quest AMP for some extra speed for hunting.

·
--------------
1,824 Posts
If you're starting out, the extra price will be worth it in terms of shop support/advice - small things just like stretch in the string and adjusting your peep makes it worth while.
Since you have a PSE shop maybe take a look at the PSE Ferocity while considering the stinger.

·
Old Guy
879 Posts
Buy the stinger and dont look back, one of the top archers in Australia uses it.
Very adjustable, and with support close, its a no brainer.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
OP, if you are new to archery and do not have a press and draw board, the help of a local shop is very important. See if you can work out some lessons in the deal (way more important than which bow. Personally I would go with one with a great back wall (think limb stops) and valley (more important than you realize at this point. Do not overbow your self. Can you pull it 100 times without straining? Get something like a 50-60 pound bow and start on 50. Get arrows spined for 60 pounds and have then cut then 2-3" long, you can have the shop shorten (hot melt on the inserts) them as you turn the pounds up towards hunting season. Good luck

·
Registered
22,535 Posts
https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5913079

I suggest you open this link and read the thread. The idea that a particular bow can "fit" you is not a myth.....as many have purchased one that was not complimentary to their form or physique. Since you are just starting out, it is a really solid plan to shoot a few bows and have a baseline of what feels good in your hand, as well as understanding the differences between draw cycles and valley/back wall. If someone handed you a PSE Full Throttle....one of the fastest bows every produced....as your first experience.....you wouldn't necessarily understand that all bows do not draw and behave as that one does. Bow designs differ....grips differ....cams differ.....sound at the shot differs....etc. The more you know up front, the better choice you will make for YOU! Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
874 Posts
two that come to mind are: hoyt powermax can be found in the classifieds for like 300 bucks, i would also look at the elite ember. honestly don't know much about PSE so i can't comment on their bows

1 - 16 of 16 Posts