Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to FMJ 6 mm and seems I am supposed to use a broadhead adpater on these shafts? What is the purpose of the adapter? I use Thunderheads and with aluminum just screwed them in and the insert kept the blades in place, won't is the adapter due to the shaft not being able to do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Gives the shaft end more durability. Because the FMJ uses HIT inserts, when the broadhead hits a target the blades will actually cut into the thin aluminum and carbon. I shot FMJs with Rocket Steelheads and had this issue. The BARs also help prevent mushrooming as well. Use the BARs.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Do the Thunderheads still come with a collar to hold the blades in? If so, no need for a BAR. You need them only if the blades are in contact with the shaft. Can you use them anyway....sure.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thunderheads on small diameter shafts might need them so that the rubber o-ring has a surface to push against. Without enough surface area the o-ring could roll around the insert and down the shaft creating slop and allowing the blades to fall out. If the insert has enough surface area then the broadhead adapter ring can probably be skipped. If not, or if the arrow uses a HIT insert the BAR will save a lot of frustration and make the connection much more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts