Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Maaaaaahh......THWACK!
Darton, Conquest, Black Eagle
2,863 Posts
ive done it several times..........

I'm sorry there really isn't any tricks. Its a pain, but it can be done. When I do replace it I use some good qaulity loop rope so that it will last a while and I will not have to do it again as soon.

· Registered
679 Posts
the easiest way for me has been to melt the end of the new cord with a lighter and while it is still hot roll it between your fingers to make a point. burns a little but it works.

· Administrator
65,644 Posts
the easiest way for me has been to melt the end of the new cord with a lighter and while it is still hot roll it between your fingers to make a point. burns a little but it works.
Get an old rag, or in a pinch a paper towel will work.. wrap the standing part of the cord with the rag, a couple inches away from the flame.. :lol: Then melt the end to a liquid ball. Quickly wipe the rag tightly up the cord and off the end and it will wipe the cord to a smooth, pointed end that's the same diameter as the cord. Remove the setscrew all the way. Then thread the cord through, remelt a ball on the end of it, replace the setscrew and yer good to go.

I did my HD from '07, I don't think they've changed in that regard.. :lol: :wink:

· Registered
2,130 Posts
I did mine and my wife's. Your right what a pain in the a??. The hole is so small that it is difficult to get anything started through there.
I took a safety pin and flattened the end and used that to help push the cord through the hole. It is still a pain though.

And to think I simply did ours to match our new Bucknasty strings.

I also noticed that once you tighten down the screw it severely damages the cord, which makes me believe that it is not wise to adjust the cord length at the set screw as designed. If you do not remove the HD dampener you will never see the damage that it causes, but it is excessive.

· Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep this sucks but suck it up for a second and melt the end and then i find it goes thru thumbwheel much better!!
I can tell you melting the end and shaping it into a point is not the answer some may think. I am using 2mm cord and when you make it into a point it still will not just go through the hole. This may be something new and unique with the 08 model but QAD needs to take a look at this. It is like cramming four pounds of crap into a two pound sock.

· Breathn
13,012 Posts
ttt

I have replaced about 20 of them this year for guys who want there cords to match there custom string colors and it is a pain but burning the end helps a lot .It takes a while sometimes but my wife saw me fight with one one time and said let me try.I was like yeah ok whatever.She put the dang thing through in 30 seconds.:confused::confused:So she does all of them now for me.:wink:

· Registered
5,756 Posts
What i do is melt the end to a point then thread some thin wire threw the string right under the melted point and then pull it threw the hole. This method has worked everytime no problems.

· Registered
2,844 Posts
I melted the end and rolled it to a point. Then I threaded a piece of serving string through the hole. I used loctite super gel and glued the serving thread to the rolled melted point and pulled it right through then melted a ball end. Worked great!

· Registered
551 Posts
What size is the set screw for the timing cord? I'll have to look in the catalog but I am pretty sure Fastenal makes a plastic tipped set screw that probably wouldn't damage the cord.

I've been thinking of getting a HD and this is good info to know.

· Registered
3,141 Posts
It also goes easier if you use the right diameter cord. Standard loop material is slightly larger in diameter than what comes from the factory with the QAD.
I spoke to the folks at QAD when I ordered some replacement cords from them and I think they said they use .078 diameter while standard loop material is like 2.0 diameter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.