Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting today ... Doing pretty good , but noticed once about every 5 or so shots , it seemed like I would have a "flyer" that would go crazy. I checked everything I thought would be causing it , and the only thing I found was that my rest rope (QAD HD) where it attaches to my cable has a HUGE burn ball on the end ... So big that it touches the other cable (not sure of correct term). I've had some minor work done on the rest/nock height lately , and didn't notice this to start. In other words , seems like to me , that burn ball would rake the side of the other cable during the shot (I hope I'm making sense ... I'll post pictures when I get home this evening).

Does or would this pose any problems ?

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
sounds lie your rest is served in too high up on the cables, should be somewhere near the base of the grip, this should give you clearence on the cables and puts less tension on the cord allowing the rest to function properly. pics will help.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds lie your rest is served in too high up on the cables, should be somewhere near the base of the grip, this should give you clearence on the cables and puts less tension on the cord allowing the rest to function properly. pics will help.
I've heard that before ... Should it be at the bottom of the grip while everything is at rest , or at full draw ? At full draw , mine is not far from bottom. I'll put some pics up later , I figured that would help.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i have the pro hd and on that model as i'm sure all but the hunter have this also. ok look at the back of the rest from the the string side of the bow. ok on the wheel part of the rest and the body there should be a small white line on it, tha two white lines should be lined up perfectly at full draw if not just adjust you string (rest triggger string, cord) till they match up at full draw and your good to go.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the pro hd and on that model as i'm sure all but the hunter have this also. ok look at the back of the rest from the the string side of the bow. ok on the wheel part of the rest and the body there should be a small white line on it, tha two white lines should be lined up perfectly at full draw if not just adjust you string (rest triggger string, cord) till they match up at full draw and your good to go.
Yea ... I knew that. Mine is timed like it should be , but I could make the release rope longer ... So that the burn ball wouldn't contact the other cable during the shot. I didn't know if that would cause any issues or not.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I doubt it would cause the flyers, unless it is not perfectly timed. Put lipstick etc... on the edge of your vanes and shoot. If it wipes off off the vanes you are getting fletching contact. Ok now the ball trim it ever so carefuly. Most likley you have an arrow that is either not perfectly squared, or your bow isnt times right. Weed out your arrows. Its not uncomon to have an arrow with a weak or extra strong spine no matter what the shaft says.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
if u dont like it cut the ball off and burn a smaller flat one and or either put a new string in w the factory string connect, they are fine.qad would not send them out if they were not.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , thanks guys. I know it's not the timing ... Bow or rest. Checked the vane clearance , and didn't show any contact. I'll try to do away with the humongous burn ball , and see if it does anything.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just how big is this burned ball? The QAD comes with a large "football" for attaching to the down cable,is it bigger than that?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some pics of the situation ... Personally I think dtrkyman hit it on the head ... Served in too high ... Even though I'm not sure if this is/could cause the "flyers" , still may need to be fixed. What yall think ?

Attachments

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
just by looking ....where the strings cross, mine looks closer to an inch, to an inch and a half, lower ....that rope burn is not a problem....only looks bad....
i used the clamp ,because i was tuning ...and it's bigger than that!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just by looking ....where the strings cross, mine looks closer to an inch, to an inch and a half, lower ....that rope burn is not a problem....only looks bad....
i used the clamp ,because i was tuning ...and it's bigger than that!
Ok , thanks ... Haven't seen the clamp , bought my bow used , and the rest was already on it. I'll have to take it to someone and get it served in a little lower. I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
just mark your arrows and see if the same one is a flyer if so try to tune the arrow by placing a different flight feather out... I have had to set two fliers this weekend out of 12 new arrows..

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You need to cut it off and burnish it correctly,as it looks like it is fraying the other cable in that pic which may not be causing fliers but can cause you to eat up a cable.Can you post up another pic showing the tied in location compared to the grip and rest?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
You are going to need a longer cord to make this work, but I would attach the pull cord at least an inch lower on the buss cable.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yes,it needs to be lower(at least an inch I would say) and burnished correctly.Do you have any extra cord on the front side of the rest or has it been cut off?If it has been cut off you need to get get some D loop material and replace it(don't cut the extra off of the front,leave an inch for adjustment).

I attached a picture if mine(camera phone) not to clear but you can see the difference and the spacing between the two cables at the tie off point.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok , I'll get it done. I sure do appreciate yalls help , guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts