Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a QAD forever. No real problems.
I’ve bow shot a trophy taker smack down for 6yrs. No real problems.

Just bought another QAD to put on again.

What do you shoot?
Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I shoot a vaportrail gen 7 because it’s the first drop-away I used and haven’t had reason to change yet. It works well and I really like the full capture opposed to the pro-v

·
Registered
413 Posts
I shot a QAD for years. Never had any issues either. I think I saw somewhere that limb driven rests support the arrow for longer than a cable driven drop away. Don’t know how significant the difference is. I put a Hamskea limb driven on my new bow this year. I like the Hamskea for its simplicity. Timing is easy. Not that the QAD wasn’t, but I think it may have taken a bit more fiddling around to get the timing just right on it. The Hamskea is well made, and should last a long time, although it is fairly heavy for a rest. I do think I miss the QAD holding the arrow in an upright position at rest. I did have to put a layer of soft peel and stick Velcro on the shelf to keep the noise down. Dealbreaker? Probably not.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I switched from QAD to limb driven years ago.

Its hard to say ones better than the other

I personally like the simplicity of a limb driven

My only other reasoning(besides it just works), is if I were backpack hunting somewhere and the drive string popped on the limb driven rest, it is a very simple fix. Just keep an Allen wrench and a few feet of d-loop material in your pack(which you should do anyways when hunting remotely). There is no timing or adjusting with a limb driver. You just tie your drive line and pull it tight on the rest.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
QAD was my first drop-away and has never given me a reason to change.

Reactions: nicko

·
BIGFISH
1,682 Posts
Limb Driven - I like that you dont have to attach anything to the cables. Not sure if the cable attachments can cause timing issues with your bow or not but I prefer not having to mess with the cables once my cams are timed and synced. I use the new Trophy Taker Smack Down which allows the arrow too be held in the launch position just like the QAD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Started with a QAD integrate. I liked the rail mounted system, the arrow sitting upright on the rest, and phenomenal customer service with QAD. I had an issue with the launcher arms getting bent when my timing was just slightly off with the cable tie and the fletchings hit. I just recently switched to the Hamskea Trinity because I wanted the simplicity and reliability of limb-driven and a ton of great reviews. I love everything about the Hamskea Trinity, and they also have great customer service. I'll be sticking with the Hamskea for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Hamskea- Easiest one I found to install/tune while blindfolded.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Limb Driven - I like that you dont have to attach anything to the cables. Not sure if the cable attachments can cause timing issues with your bow or not but I prefer not having to mess with the cables once my cams are timed and synced. I use the new Trophy Taker Smack Down which allows the arrow too be held in the launch position just like the QAD.
I’ve heard when you let down the launcher also goes down is this true?

·
Registered
Solution/Insanity CPX/HHA Tetra//Hexx 260, Carter Too Simple
455 Posts
I’ve heard when you let down the launcher also goes down is this true?

Yes, but the Hamksea's are enclosed so its not like arrow will fall out. Put a piece of mole skin on the riser if that would help, mine came with a rubber patch. I switched from QAD to Hamskea and I won't go back. Super easy to set up and tune, no press needed .

·
Registered
346 Posts
QAD for years and I was perfectly happy. Decided on a whim to try a Hamskea Trinity based on the reviews and the robust design. Made me a convert even though it's absolutely overkill. I guess that's what drew me to it.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I installed a few QAD's for others, and once you get the hang of it installation is very easy, tuning with a QAD is pretty much the same as everything else.
A long time user of QT 3000's, a prong type rest, I finally put a QAD hunter on one of my bows, (the low cost version), and now I have a QAD of some type on all 9 of my bows. Simple and effective are the strong points. I do think they are worth a few points on any score card.

Replacing the QT's on a bow that was properly tuned was very straight forward. Shaft centered on the Berger hole, nock set to hold the shaft square to the string at rest, and center shot at center of mass. Done.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Limbdriven hands down in my opinion. I switched from QAD to Limberdriver Pro V 6 or so years ago and I have never regretted it. Rock solid, simple, no chance of messing with tune by attaching QAD to the cable. It is what I have complete confidence in. I keep a few feet of D Loop material and an Allen wrench set in my pack so I can easily repair if something happened to it.

·
NOOBY
1,366 Posts
I shoot a vaportrail gen 7 because it’s the first drop-away I used and haven’t had reason to change yet. It works well and I really like the full capture opposed to the pro-v

Same here, started on the pro-V then upgraded to a gen 7. Both are awesome and work great. Pro-V going on my kids bow.

Great folks in MN at Vapor too!

·
Mark
6,040 Posts
I've had several HDX with no issues and one limb driven Hamskea with no problems. I don't think I see any real difference in accuracy but do like the Hamskea itself better. Currently using Hamskea on 3D and HDX on hunting bow. If I was in need of another rest think I would go limb driven due to the fact it's not attached to the cable, makes it easier when adjusting cables and so forth.

·
Registered
PSE EVL34, Hoyt Axius Alpha
873 Posts
QAD on both hunting rigs (HDX and MXT). Their customer service is top notch and their products are great

·
Registered
118 Posts
Limb driven supports the arrow longer. More accurate imo. Can use 'tighter' sight tape. Enough said. I have trophy taker smack down on both of my bows. Hamskea on the shopping list..

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X
332 Posts
I prefer the compactness of the QAD drop away rests vs Hamskeas limb driven. The Hamskeas look so 'bulky' to me. I know it's a dumb reason, but I like that I can get a QAD HDX with the bow specific branding on there too (Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite,...), it kind of dresses up the bow a little more and is a nice touch... I have had an HDX on my last couple 'flagship' bows and never had a QAD fail on me... I wouldn't mind trying a Hamskea for comparison sometime.. I think both are great products. I've wondered if the extra string with a limb driven gets snagged on stuff while hunting?.. That's another potential reason to prefer drop away, the string can be very short and out of the way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts