Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried 2 QAD drop away rests over the last 5 years and both have had issues once the weather drops below freezing with not dropping away either far enough or quickly enough to avoid fletching contact in hunting situations. I really like how these rests shoot for target, 3D and early season hunting, but I have no confidence once the mercury drops below 32 deg F. Is this a common problem with these rests or are their "fixes' to make them more dependable in colder weather? I'm back to an old NAP QT800 prong rest on my Hoyt Charger due to no confidence in the drop away designs. Seems like drop away technology has been around long enough and QAD seems to be a leader for this to be a non-issue. Please advise…

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I've never understood why people buy qad. They are noisy and have lots of issues. Cold weather is a big one. You couldn't give me one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I've never understood why people buy qad. They are noisy and have lots of issues. Cold weather is a big one. You couldn't give me one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I never had an issue from day one, no noise, no problems. And with all of the people that buy and use them many must agree.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I have shot deer at 0 degrees with a qad, no problems for me but problems for the deer for sure.....:wink:

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I’ve only gone down to 17 degrees with mine, but it was snowing, does that count? No troubles at all with my hdx.

·
Registered
50,726 Posts
I have been using, selling and setting them up for many years and weather doesn't effect how they work.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Few threads on this with comments from both camps; cold weather issues vs. no issues, and in other threads just like apparently so in a couple comments in this one it might be specific to the model. Seems many of the "issues in cold weather" rests are the Hunter models and the "no issues" comments the higher quality QADs... Perhaps something worth considering.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't replace the original cord that comes with the rest with an aftermarket. Majority of issues I've run into are from an aftermarket cord used, from moving the rest to a new bow or to match aesthetically. Most aftermarket cords swell when wet or temperature change is dramatic, causing the internals to malfunction.

I've replaced a few with a manufacturer cord and the issue was never repeated.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Best advice i can give you is if you hunt nasty cold wet/freezing weather avoid all cable driven rests. Buy a Hamskea or Gen 7 Vapor trail and never look back. Crazy how many issues guys report on the cable driven rests and a few others will tell you how great they are. They are NOT great when they fail on you. Had three fail and won't ever consider one again. Too many better options to begin with. Even funnier how they claim their customer service is great. LOL. Who the heck gives a rats azz about CS when you have to take it off and set up your bow again during season and then do it again when they replace it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Best advice i can give you is if you hunt nasty cold wet/freezing weather avoid all cable driven rests. Buy a Hamskea or Gen 7 Vapor trail and never look back. Crazy how many issues guys report on the cable driven rests and a few others will tell you how great they are. They are NOT great when they fail on you. Had three fail and won't ever consider one again. Too many better options to begin with. Even funnier how they claim their customer service is great. LOL. Who the heck gives a rats azz about CS when you have to take it off and set up your bow again during season and then do it again when they replace it.
I used to use QAD. Great rest. Had some issues. Now use Hamskea. Less issues, but still some minor issues.
QAD: Lock up in cold or no letdown is a Real Bad Issue in ther field. you'd better have a backup plan.
Hamskea: Spring stretch can be dealt with in the field. Only issue i've had till now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
how cold do you hunt,I live and hunt in ND,I'
v hunted and shot deer with a qad in -30, not wind chill with no issues,no doubt in my mind one of the best rests made,I think in all the years I've used them, I've had 1 not work right, company used wrong oil, and it would get stiff and hang up in frigid weather , went to a different lube or no lube, dont know which, but trouble free since, that was, I dont know how many, years ago..

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My issues are early-mid November when the temp drops below freezing for the first few times. They have never been on one of my bows during December when the temp really drops. Seems odd that I have had the issue with 2 different QAD rests on 2 different backup Hoyt setups (Vectrix & Charger).

I'm glad I shoot my Buffalo recurve off the shelf and avoid this kind of grief on my primary hunting bow.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
how cold do you hunt,I live and hunt in ND,I'
v hunted and shot deer with a qad in -30, not wind chill with no issues,no doubt in my mind one of the best rests made,I think in all the years I've used them, I've had 1 not work right, company used wrong oil, and it would get stiff and hang up in frigid weather , went to a different lube or no lube, dont know which, but trouble free since, that was, I dont know how many, years ago..
Lot more to do with freezing and thawing temps while wet or damp and when you add in a couple years worth of dust and dirt issues show up. Keep using it i don't care. But know you have been warned by several on here. Not just one guy as you can see.

·
Registered
50,726 Posts
Lot more to do with freezing and thawing temps while wet or damp and when you add in a couple years worth of dust and dirt issues show up. Keep using it i don't care. But know you have been warned by several on here. Not just one guy as you can see.
Love this notion, been warned by "many" people on here LOL. Most negative comments on AT are an extremely small portion of the actual archery community and products actually in everyday use. Secondly you see more posts about problems than good things. Lastly the majority of failures are because they were never properly set up to begin with. I am not saying they are failure free but it is not as bad as you think. Every single product has failures now and then, that doesn't mean they are a bad product. I use them personally and have sold and set up hundreds of them and can count on one hand the amount that was a actual product problem. Most other problems are ones people have set up incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand the points about setup with cord adjustments. However, in both circumstances they hang up when I flicked the thumb activator to drop the rest to load an arrow after walking to my stand on a cold morning. My problems are prior to even drawing the bow.

The rest has “do not lubricate” or something similar printed on it so I have not done so. An earlier thread mentioned lubricating but did not give details.

Given that I have not received any feedback on “how to fix”, I am going to assume these are “throw away” if they do not perform correctly.

Thanks to all that replied

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have to admit I have had the same problems with my QAD. I was in Iowa one year hunting in extreme cold an snow. My rest would not work. I actually had to practice hold it up with thumb and and trying to let go when I released an arrow. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I never had a buck that I wanted to shoot in range.

I talked to the owner of the archery shop that I frequent and he recommended a Ripcord Arrow Rest. He guaranteed they will not freeze up. I still haven't made the switch ,but I am seriously considering it.

·
can I shoot it?
16,983 Posts
I have used several of the models since the HDX came out. Usually I try to get the brand specific model because it makes setup easier for me. I have only used it down to -19 so I guess not EXTREME cold but never had an issue with mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts