Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of trying an expandable head (Trophy Ridge's Meat Seeker) but was wondering about expansion on quartering shots with expandable heads. Is it worth giving up my Muzzy's?

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I can't speak for that broadhead. But I have shot a lot of other expandables. I had no problem with any shot I had taken. Quartering away is by far my favorite shot on white tails. Wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
24 Posts
As long as its not a severe quartering away you should be ok. I shot Gold Tip 100 grain expandable back when they were around and shot a deer on a quartering away angle. Being expandables it actually kicked and went about six inches in and between the hide and the rib cage.

· Registered
9,278 Posts
Different broadheads deploy in different ways. Some are designed specifically to avoid deflections from quartering angles.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
As long as its not a severe quartering away you should be ok.......
Exactly. Look at the way the BH works, and think about it, and it will answer the question for you. I've taken deer on mild quarter to, and away with them with no problems, and those were the Jak-Hammer, that have to "Jack-knife" upon themselves.

· Registered
6,213 Posts
Took a pretty sharp quartering away shot with a spitfire this year(went in back of the ribs and lodged in the front shoulder) and had no problem with this over the top broadhead.The broadheads you are talking about expand backwards I believe, which should be no problem at all on quartering away shots. MY .02

· Registered
2,751 Posts
Quartering away is by far my favorite shot on white tails.
I agree. BUT....a large cutting surface mechanical eats up a LOT of energy. You're sending that projectile through even more animal on a qtring shot. Just understand that pass-thrus might not be achievable every time. That is important to me. If I shoot a compound, this fall, I'll go afield with a COC fixed head.

I've taken 12 whititails over the last 2 seasons with a mechanical. They have their advantages and disadvantages. On qtring shots.....you just have to know your equipment's capabilites.

Good luck.

· Registered
996 Posts
Different broadheads deploy in different ways. Some are designed specifically to avoid deflections from quartering angles.
IMO, the further back the tips of the blades are from the point the better the chance that it will not deflect. Some expandables tips are right up front. The broadhead does not have a chance to penetrate before the blade starts deploying. That's what causes "jacknifing".

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'll be giving my 125 gr muzzys a rest for the backup bow. Went to the range with new setup and it didn't look good. All arrows spin tested and broadheads aligned up with vanes but arrows were off from field points not unusual for broadheads but I didn't get the grouping to make me feel good about hunting with them.

· Registered
11,415 Posts
I have used alot of heads that are out there... and i actually have only seen on broadhead skip across ribs due to a sever quartering/downslop shot.. and this was a g5 striker... put a nasty cut in the deers side and stuck in his neck, but didnt penetrate untill it hit his neck.

that being said i love my grim reapers and g5 strikers.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
I've only had on slight issue...hard-quartering to shot on a Javelina. Small bodied animal at very close range, I was planning to take the shoulder on the way in...missed the shoulder and caught him tight behind, the broadhead (Rocky Mtn. Gator) slid about 3" under his hide before entering the body.

I've never had any issue besides...and I'm a very happy Grim Reaper user currently. :thumbs_up

· Registered
3,113 Posts
I shot a doe, hard quartering too, in behind the near shoulder, out the opposite rear ham. Then stuck into the ground.

I used a Rage 2-blade, the doe dropped within sight, buckets of blood.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried to get you a picture but I was lost:confused:. It was known as the undertaker but Undertaker was already taken for a line of choke tube. They come in three blade 1 1/2" cut and the new two blade 2" cut. You can go to trophyridge.com to take a look at them.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Keep your muzzys. watched a buddy of mine a few years back take a shot on a sweet 12pt. between the angle from his treestand and the animal quartered away from him , It was heart breaking to say the least. Caught it all on video. It looked as if the expanable just kicked away from the buck as it opened ( dont ask me the brand ). Never saw that buck again. It turned in to a ghost. Anyway I will stick to fixed heads. But thats just me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.