Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like whenever i shoot quartering targets my impact point usually hits to the side nearest me,usually an inch or so out.. i cant really figure out why but it seems like i find myself shooting for the opposite side of the ten ring to hit middle..anyone else notice this and have an explanation as to why?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Myself on a quartering away shot i always aim farther forward front side of the 10 ring and if the target is quartering towards me i aim to the backside of th 10 ring . Im not smart enough to tell u why u have to do it that way lol Just thats what i have to do to score good

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Your probably a bowhunter and you have the mentality of how the arrow is gonna exit to get the vitals so your aiming as you would on an animal

·
Registered
808 Posts
When a target is quartered away from you (facing to the left), this moves the 11 ring slightly to the left. If its facing right, the eleven ring is pushed to the right. This is a slight move, but its enough to make a difference. So where you would normally aim, is now not a good spot to aim obviously.

Also keep in mind that when a target is quartered, the shape of the ten ring is now an oval, with less room for error on the horizontal plain. As was said above, I generally try and go for the furthest part of the 11 ring when a target is quartered away.

Leigh.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its all between your ears.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Its all between your ears.
Which makes it no less real.

Recognizing the trend means you're already in the process of addressing it. Make a step in your shot routine to acknowledge it, aim accordingly for your POI tendency and make a good shot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you think about the physics of the arrow flight, when you are aiming at a point. The point you are aiming is further from you than the place the arrow actually impacts. If you were to look inside the target you would see the point somewhere in the vicinity of your aim point. So depending which way the target is quartering and degree of the quarter you will have to adjust you hold point.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
even when you aim with both eyes it is your dominant eye that is doing the aiming. one eye, by itself sees in non- binocular vision and has no depth perception, so it sees a simple flat profile and not a spot that is closer on one side than the other, as in a quartering shot. consequently, it sees the point of aim as the middle part of where it is aiming as if the animal is at 90 degrees to the line of sight. when you shoot the intersection of flight path and animal's angle to the line of sight results in an angled intersection and the arrow hits the closer side first because that is actually hoe the shot is situated in relation tot he flight of the arrow in binocular or real vision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts