Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am pretty much a lurker on this site as I am new to archery.
I purchased a new Quest Primal 20 months ago. In that time, I have replaced the cables 3 times, the entire I guide & post assembly and 1 string.
The first cables went as a result of the serving unraveling at the cams. 2nd set as a result of the I guide post backing out of the riser causing heavy wear on the cables where they run through the guide.
Now the third set is wearing badly after less than 300 arrows and the guide post is not moving at all. Feels like driving a truck over a gravel road when you draw it.
I keep the string and cables well waxed.
2 different shops performed the warranty work.
Quest has always taken care of the issue, but I am very tired of all the logistics involved in getting the cables replaced done all the re-zeroing of all the components.

I have a set of winners choice string and cables on hand.
Trying to decide whether to put them on and see what happens, or just get rid of it and cut my losses.

I really like the way the bow shoots, but if it won't hold together, what good is it.

Just plain tired of the fight.

Open to all opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Have the cables served where they run through the i glide. Also, do not wax in that area as the wax can build up inside the guide, collect dust and debris causing a cutting action on the cables. I did this to my Impact strings and they have held up beautifully. Getting rid of that bow would be a shame. It is a proven shooter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mike, I have never seen that suggested before. I will give it a try.
I really like the bow and I shoot it fairly well so really didn't want to get rid of it.

Again thanks.

·
Come on October!!!!
3,070 Posts
If the I glide on your bow is not the flexible one then inquire to G5 about getting one. That and the stop stop do need to be checked periodically for tightness, simple maintenance. Use wax on the cables but use it sparingly, keep the I Glide clean. I have found that the newer string materials, XS2, 8190 do wear a bit better than the 452x. The liquid string treatments do not work on the cables. Serving cables is an excellent option. I will be trying the new BCY "X" this winter/spring and anticipate it will wear fine as well. One last thing what color are the inserts on the I glide? Anything but blue should probably be replaced as well. This bow is a very underrated shooter with the proper spined arrow. Last note, much better and cheaper options than Winners Choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 454,
I already have the Winners choice on hand.
Have the blue inserts as they replaced the complete guide assembly early last summer. The new guide does flex, the original did not.
I keep the bow clean, never lay it on the ground, never been dropped or abused in any way. No wax buildup or dirt in the guide holes.
Tried very little wax, lot of wax, does not seem to make any difference.
Stop, stop? Not familiar with this term.
Will Serving the cables where they run through the guide holes reduce speed?

·
Come on October!!!!
3,070 Posts
Doah! string stop. Not sure of the speed but even if it did it would not be enough to notice. The Prime bows are now receiving this treatment from the start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts