Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, finally back to work again so i think im gonna take out the old hoyt vtec, and rip it apart to build me a frankenbow. i need help with a few things. as it sits now, i have an 05 vtect at 28 inch draw, 60 pounds. i also have an alphaburner at 75 pounds for hunting. (got 70-80 pound limbs, but unfortunatly sold the old ones like a dumb$#!t). heres what im thinking for the vtec, i want xt2000 limbs, and possibly spirals, z3s or binaries (oh yes i said it) im looking to keep the brace height under 6.5 inches, and with a draw above 70 lbs. im hoping for at least mid 320s real world speed. what do you think? can it be done?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Where ther is a will, there is a way. But for the speed you are looking for, I would think the Spirals are best. Brace height seems short enough for speeds like that, and poundage is definitely enough. But I think it can be done.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I'm wondering how you would determine the string and cable length?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm wondering how you would determine the string and cable length?
That's a fair point. Having the correct strings and cables will make tunig a hell of a lot easier.
Maybe talk to other Frankenbowers and see what they did to find the length. I would also see if I can find the V-Tec's lengths by contacting Hoyt.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
wasn´t the vtec basicly a ultratec with 1000 limbs? the ultratec specs with 2000 limbs and spirals should be a good starting piont for cables and string.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Also, I remember a thread like this where someone was asking about binary cams and Hoyt limbs and the one and only Kevin Strothers came on and mentioned that it's not safe to use any limb that does not have reinforced tips when using binary cams.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Also, I remember a thread like this where someone was asking about binary cams and Hoyt limbs and the one and only Kevin Strothers came on and mentioned that it's not safe to use any limb that does not have reinforced tips when using binary cams.

Just something to think about.
I forgot about that. Frankenbowers are always in a bit of uncharted territory. I still recommend Spirals.

And Kevin knows his stuff!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
wasn´t the vtec basicly a ultratec with 1000 limbs? the ultratec specs with 2000 limbs and spirals should be a good starting piont for cables and string.
You are correct, the ultra and vtec have the exact same risor... pockets, rockers and limbs and cams were different. If you notice the vtec and xtec have #s for the cam.5, all other cam.5 hoyts use letters for cam size.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
You are correct, the ultra and vtec have the exact same risor... pockets, rockers and limbs and cams were different. If you notice the vtec and xtec have #s for the cam.5, all other cam.5 hoyts use letters for cam size.
The letters and numbers are because of the year. In '06 they switched from letters to numbers.

Put 2000s and Spirals on a V-Tec and you get a '05/'06 UltraTEC, so you can use the tune charts to get the harnessing lengths.

There are a couple bows that have been posted on here using Hoyt limbs and binary style cams. The limb tip reinforcements issue is really for solid limbs and not splits. Solids tend to want to split because of the extra limb twist (cam lean) and how it effects the tips of the limb forks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The letters and numbers are because of the year. In '06 they switched from letters to numbers.

Put 2000s and Spirals on a V-Tec and you get a '05/'06 UltraTEC, so you can use the tune charts to get the harnessing lengths.

There are a couple bows that have been posted on here using Hoyt limbs and binary style cams. The limb tip reinforcements issue is really for solid limbs and not splits. Solids tend to want to split because of the extra limb twist (cam lean) and how it effects the tips of the limb forks.
Good info!

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
For a rough idea regarding strings/cables, go to Hoyt's web site, then hit customer service.

You can then see the link to their tune charts. Choose the 2006 Ultratec or 2003 Ultratec depending on the limb pocket numbers you have.

-Steve

·
Bow down to the man camz
2,122 Posts
You are going to end up with a 05/06 ultratec. The vtec and ultratec risers are the same risers. The vtec has 1000 limbs and the ultratec has 2000 or 3000 limbs. I would suggest spiral cams. My 06 ultratec 31'' 70 pound draw 8.0 spirals will spit a 340 axis nano around 310fps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is good stuff, is it possible to change limb pockets to change the limb angle at all?
id love to go parallel, and im looking for good speed with a hunting rig. i want essentially my alphaburner but of my own devices lol. are there any other fast cams i could look at?

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Yes, the rockers were made in different heights, which is represented by one of the two limb pocket numbers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright ! im thinking vectrix or katera limb pockets. would that work?
and now to figure out deflection. i have no clue how that crap works lol. i want upwards of 70 lbs so would i be looking for low numbers? or higher?
the original bow has an ata length of 35 1/2 '' and a brace of 7. im thinking since its a longer riser, but will have parallel limbs, to treat it similarly to something such as a katera xl (even though it doesnt have the same limbs) and from i can gather, im looking for something above a 90's deflection. am i right? possibly 98, or 102 deflection.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anybody got any ideas? im looking around, there are some really cool set ups out there. gotta question about the rockers too, do they just go under the limb pockets or what?

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Limb angle is a function of riser mount and the limb pocket.

You may not be able to get Katera like limb angles.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I got the itch a while back when I found a great deal on a bunch of archery stuff.

Ended up with a SWAT and liked it but it was a back up an wanted to try somethin. got to lookin around for some Alley or Tribute cams but stumbled on some Elite Rev cams. Did a little research and bought some in 29" hoping to get 28.25"-28.5".

Me and my buddy 08toxicshooter started playin around with it and found some string and cable lengths and he threw together some for me. Best decision ever.

Went from 60lbs, 34" ATA, 7.125" BH, and 318IBO to 33.75" ATA with 6.75" BH and about 333 IBO and 65lbs. Shoots awesome with no vibes, dead steady, and rock solid Elite wall. Shot Augusta ASA with it and did real well.

Not bad for another $50 between cams an strings.

I'd say go for it if you have the time to play with it and get it right. We lucked up an the first go around and had the lengths right so it worked out easily.

I've always looked at all the options for Hoyts and there ain't much reason not to try it.
Good luck man!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Limb angle is a function of riser mount and the limb pocket.

You may not be able to get Katera like limb angles.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
that doesn't bug me, i just wanted it to be more parallel, how much more isnt all that big of deal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anybody know which would provide better speed, binarys or spirals? are there any other good options for great speed? im not really a single cam guy so thats kinda out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts