Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currantly shoot a Hoyt Ultramag at 65lbs. with a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter fall away rest. My arrows are Beman ICS hunter 400 grain with 4" quick spin fletching. My question is which broadhead will work better with this set up? A 2blade with bleeder blades, a 3 blalde, or a 4 blade broadhead. I would like to stay at 100 gr.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I am assuming for whitetails. It sounds like you are just starting, so I am going to try to touch some of the basics. THere are a lot of factors.

Not to over generalize, but 2 blade w/ bleeders are usually the most prone to planing

for a given weight, three blades usually have larger blades than 4 blades, the bigger the blades, the more likely they are to plane.
For instance, 3 blade muzzys have a bigger diameter than 4 blades. a lot of people say four blade muzzys fly better. There is not as much surface area for planing

If you are looking for something that is easy to shoot, here are some good shooring 3 blades:
Montecs, thunderheads, muzzys, wasps (bullets look pretty easy to get to fly), nitrons

4 blades:
slick tricks, muzzys, I think there is a 4 blade wasp this year

If you have arrows with a helical fletch it helps a lot. The Quick spins whould help
Sometimes, it can be very hard to get a broadhead to fly properly with a straight fletch.

Some key things to always keep in mind:
1. Spin the heads to make sure they are not bent and teh insert is installed straight.
2. make sure that you have a properly spined arrow, looks like you do, but it depends on the length.
3. Make sure you are getting clearance (the rest is dropping in time)

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Muzzy

My set up is very close to yours, and I'm shooting the Muzzy 4 bladed 100grain broadhead, and they fly just like my field tips :wink: I also tried the G5 4 bladed broadhead, and had the same result's. The Muzzy however are a better bang for your buck :teeth: you get 6 heads instead of just 3.

Another think to remember is the timing of your rest, and making sure your arrow is still long enough, really stink's when you have your broadhead hit the front of your riser, because your arrows is alittle too short. :tongue:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.