Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first full size bow a couple weeks ago and this is the first time I will be setting up my bow myself. I had a quick question regarding arrow length. I was told that it should be your draw length + 1 inch, so if I draw my bow 26 inches I need a 27 inch arrow. I was wondering if this is true for hunting, however, since I watched several videos on Youtube of people with arrows extending 2 or more inches past their rest so their broadhead cleared the shelf and they were not shooting past their hand. A timely reply would be much appreciated since I'm going to Bass Pro later this evening to get my arrows cut down.
Thanks in advance =)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I cut my arrows 1/2" past my rest. With that said, my rest sits back about even with the back of the riser. My draw length is 28" and my arrow is 26" from the string(where the string fits in the nock). Unless you hold your fingers up in the air, there should be any worries about nicking yourself with a broadhead. (shorter arrows are stiffer/lighter/smaller diam./faster. In other words, you can shoot a smaller shaft because of the greater spine of the shorter arrow.) If your after weight , go with a longer arrow. I shoot 380 grains at 70# with a 100 grain head.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, so you think I should go shorter than my draw for more speed?
I'm not worried about penetration or KE at long range as the area we hunt rarely affords shots over 40 yards and I'm using fixed blade broadheads. Long range performance is therefore less of an issue, however a flatter trajectory from 1-30 yards would be great (mainly because I'm not the most experienced bowhunter and I absolutely suck at judging distances, LOL).
Thanks for the input ohiobuck =).

·
Registered
37,031 Posts
Theres more to it than that. Its depends on style of rest and how its mounted. It also is important that your arrow is spined correctly for your set up. Arrow spine will change depending on arrow legth and the weight of the tip.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have a 29.5 draw and use a whisker biscuit. My current arrows are 30 inches from the throat to the insert. The next batch of arrows I get will be 28 inches from throat to insert.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I just purchased my first full size bow a couple weeks ago and this is the first time I will be setting up my bow myself. I had a quick question regarding arrow length. I was told that it should be your draw length + 1 inch, so if I draw my bow 26 inches I need a 27 inch arrow. I was wondering if this is true for hunting, however, since I watched several videos on Youtube of people with arrows extending 2 or more inches past their rest so their broadhead cleared the shelf and they were not shooting past their hand. A timely reply would be much appreciated since I'm going to Bass Pro later this evening to get my arrows cut down.
Thanks in advance =)
There are many factors to consider when selecting arrow length.

The number one factor is dynamic to static spine match. Cut the arrow too long and you will have weak match, cut it too short and you will have too stiff of a match.

Factor number two is where your rest is positioned in relation to the berger hole. While this will also factor into number one, the further behind the berger hole the rest holds your arrow at full draw, the shorter you can cut your arrow(see number one).

With todays riser and rest designs, there is no longer the need to worry about where a broadhead will sit in relation to your hand. There is no danger of the arrow hitting your hand at anytime. What you need to consider is will the broadhead clear the shelf at full draw.

I recommend going to www.pinwheelsoftware.com and check out Software for Archers. using this program, you can see how your desired arrow length will match up to your setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys =). I upped my DL to 27 and had the arrows cut to 26. Have not had a chance to try out the setup yet but the longer draw feels so much more comfortable now, and I hopefully won't have to monkey around and bring the bow back to me to line up a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts