Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m shooting 400 grain arrows out of a Mathews halon 5. I bought the cheapest ones bass pro shops had but I was wondering, are there many benefits to buying more expensive arrows?

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,561 Posts
Yes. Those arrows are not the best quality. That's why they are so inexpensive.

Are they 400gr or 400 spine?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your just learning I'd say not really. I think there are more important things to spend money on like a good release and maybe most importantly a few sessions with a coach. The lower priced arrows may not win you any matches but it will allow you to shoot and hunt if needed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Guessing the ones you bought are the Blackout Envy? They aren't horrible arrows, think they are made by Gold Tip. I agree with @Whiskeyshot, use those and spend money elsewhere for now.

·
Registered
26,630 Posts
Spine is the stiffness of an arrow shaft as measured on a device that suspends both ends and hangs a determined weight from the middle to measure the flex. They are matched to a particular bow by draw weight and draw length to fly best with the setup.

Arrow weight is the "gpi"....grains per inch x length plus the components.....insert, point, fletching, nock, etc. It is measured on a scale and might be 400 and might be more or less.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You will probably benefit some, if you have reached a little more than a basic level of shooting proficiency. By getting some arrows that are more custom built to a length and weight that match what you are trying to achieve. Getting a proper tune with them, and setting up your D loop and or nocking points exactly. Your draw length on the bow and where it is on pounds pull, and what you want to do with the bow, will help to recommend an arrow that is consistent with what you are wanting to achieve. Is it hunting, hunting and 3D target,what broadhead where you wanting to use?

·
8,434 Posts
I'm using black eagle outlaws ($75 per dozen) after years of expensive shafts and I honestly can't tell a lick of difference at hunting distances. 50yds and under.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What's your draw length , wieght, your bows speed/ ibo rating

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You need a 300 spine if you shoot standard inserts and 100 grain points.
250 spine if you bump point/ insert wieght

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Black eagle makes a 42 grain brass insert and a 100 grain insert for these arrows.

I would call Lancasters, I do not see the 100 grain insert on their web page. This would be a good starting arrow that will be a step up, get you into a little higher FOC, but arrow is light enough to not get an overly heavy arrow , you may want one some day but these will be good for hunting . I would get .250 spine, have Lancasters cut them to the length you want and install the 100 grain brass insert. Get 6 and see how you like them.

Later you may want to try some smaller diameter or heavier or lighter. But this would be a good arrow to get your feet wet.

The .250 spine cut to 30" with a 100 grain point and 100 grain insert would be about 513 grains and 15% FOC
You could also go with the 42 grain insert that would be 460 grains and 11.3 % FOC that would keep your speed up for 3D
The insert that comes with them is only like 14 grains, for some builds that is fine, but for you and your specs the heavier brass ones will be better.

This would be if you are using the bow at max poundage and an arrow around 30". If you are shooting the bow back out to 65 maybe and cutting the arrow down more, you may be able to use a .350 spine. But you will be able to shoot the .250 spine regardless.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would get measured by a pro shop to determine the arrow length you need based on your draw weight and draw length and then progress from there on arrow purchases.

·
Back Yard Champion
32,574 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts