Archery Talk Forum banner

Question about Bear Traditional bows.

2959 Views 26 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Widow's son
Hello fellow traditional archers, Rookie Recurve shooter, Harry here.

Recently I am looking for a new bow for myself; and I heard many people recommend buying an old used bear bow.
I saw many nice used bear bows but I was considering about the length of bows.
The one of the most popular bow of Bear archery, Bear 58" Grizzly Recurve Hunting bow, as it says, 58 inch. I heard bow length has to be at least twice of draw length.( I heard this fact, I am not perfectly sure it is right. :S) Since I have 30" of draw length, I won't be able to use Grizzly? Should I look for something new?
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,095 Posts
If you really have a 30" draw length, you'd probably be more comfortable with a longer bow, whether it's new or old... some people prefer shorter bows for hunting, especially from a blind or a stand, but finger pinch from the tight string angle might be an issue with a long draw. And some bows' draw weight "stacks" badly beyond 28".

There are lots of other Bear models..

· Registered
1,313 Posts
I have a 31" draw, and shoot my brother-in-law's Grizzly OK... not "great", but "OK". It's a nice-feeling bow, but I do run into the stack just short of full-draw, and do notice just a tad of finger-pinch once I hit full draw.

I prefer a longer bow: find they're generally smoother and without finger-pinch (which is simply a result of the string angle; the longer the bow, tip-tip, for a given draw length, the shallower the angle of the string at full draw and the more space there will be for your fingers).

· Registered
12,124 Posts
If you have a 30" draw with a compound, you may or may not have a 30' draw with a recurve. Some people have a bit shorter draw shooting a recurve than a compound.

I have a draw a bit over 29" and definitely like my 64" bows better than my 60", but I can shoot the 60" bows just fine. Like said above it comes down to string angle. As long as your relatively long draw doesn't push a 58" bow beyond it's design limits it all comes down to comfort.

I think you would like a longer bow better, but the 58" should work if that's the way you want to go. The best deals are always with a used bow, assuming you know what you are looking for.

· Registered
794 Posts
I've learned that with those old bows ya just never know til you grab it and pull it back. I've got a 29 1/2" draw length and use an old 52" Kodiak regularly. I don't notice any string problems and just the slightest bit of stack at full draw. I've got a 60" High Sierra that doesn't seem quite as forgiving, when I hit my anchor with it I'm not at the wall but swiftly approaching it.....

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a 30" draw with a compound, you may or may not have a 30' draw with a recurve. Some people have a bit shorter draw shooting a recurve than a compound.

I have a draw a bit over 29" and definitely like my 64" bows better than my 60", but I can shoot the 60" bows just fine. Like said above it comes down to string angle. As long as your relatively long draw doesn't push a 58" bow beyond it's design limits it all comes down to comfort.

I think you would like a longer bow better, but the 58" should work if that's the way you want to go. The best deals are always with a used bow, assuming you know what you are looking for.
Never shoot a compound before. Traditional all the way. :)

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I decided that I would try Samick Squall or Samick NightHawk. They are both nice looking bows. If you want to check them out, go to Lancasterarchery.com, they are under Traditional Take down bow section.
Still thinking about getting a used bow if I can find one.

Let me know, what you guys think about. :)

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure why did they put like that. :confused:
The fact that I can buy a pair of limbs with different poundage, force me to buy takedown bow. ;)

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Going from compound to trad your draw will typically shorten up to 1.5 in, like everyone is saying. If you end up over 28" any Bear bow 58" is gonna be on the absolute limit comfort wise, especially if you want to play with any weight over 45#. I would try to find a bow AT LEAST 60", preferably 62 or even 64. Longer the bow, more comfortable and smooth it will be for a given weight.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.