Archery Talk Forum banner

Question about building a recurve

394 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  Chris Wilson
I have a Hoyt Defiant that I was wondering if it could be converted over to a recurve? I've seen where there are guys doing this with compounds, but I don't know if mine could be. I have a picture of it in the classifieds under Hoyt Defiant Legacy. Just wondering if it would be worth it. There is Hoyt listed that was converted, but I can't see $300 for it. Are limbs that expensive? Thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
I have a Hoyt Defiant that I was wondering if it could be converted over to a recurve? I've seen where there are guys doing this with compounds, but I don't know if mine could be. I have a picture of it in the classifieds under Hoyt Defiant Legacy. Just wondering if it would be worth it. There is Hoyt listed that was converted, but I can't see $300 for it. Are limbs that expensive? Thanks!
I'm not sure about the hoyt defiant riser being a good one for conversion. Not all risers provide the proper limb pocket angles to give adequate preload on the limbs at brace. The person to check with on that would be Bob Gordan over on Tradtalk.com. He's pretty much the guru on the subject and can tell you which risers work the best. I know the majority of the ones he converts are older compound risers, late 80's to mid 1990's.

As for the limbs, yes limbs can be expensive, depending on the limbs. The hoyt you've mentioned in the classifieds is sporting a set of Tradtech carbonwood ILF shorts. The sell new for around $280. If you really want to spend some money, you can pick up a set of Hoyt 990TX carbon foam limbs. They'll set you back close to $650. A standard wood/glass set of hoyts will run around $200, give or take a bit. Now, You can find less expensive ILF limbs but, I've never been really impressed with the quality of most of those, except maybe KAP limbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.