Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’m not super smart on bow tuning, but I had a question about the center shot. Or I’m assuming this is what’s referred to center shot anyway. When the bow is at rest and arrow nocked, isn’t the arrow supposed to be 90 degrees? I looked at mine, which by the way was just recently set up, and it appears the arrow is pointing down rather than completely straight. Is this right or no? And if it’s not right, what effect will I be seeing?

Another thing, it appears the further I step back, the more left my arrows start to hit. All I know is my last bow, the guy was full our attention to detail and no matter how far I shot, the arrow would fly perfectly straight up and down, never fading to the left or right.

If anyone has any help on this I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
When you push the launcher all the way up is it level? Some bows tune slight nock high, fading to left or right on distance could be axis on sight is off if it has the 1st, 2nd and 3rd adjustment.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you push the launcher all the way up is it level? Some bows tune slight nock high, fading to left or right on distance could be axis on sight is off if it has the 1st, 2nd and 3rd adjustment.

I’ll have to check next time I get bow out.

Would the axis change moving the sight from bow to bow? Because it was straight on my last bow.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I’ll have to check next time I get bow out.

Would the axis change moving the sight from bow to bow? Because it was straight on my last bow.

For the QAD rest I believe it's supposed to be nock a little high. Your shooting left could be a lot of things. Have you shot a bare shaft or shot it through paper?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My halon 6 likes to run about a 16th of an inch nock high. Bottom of the arrow passing through the Berger hole. If left impact is an issue, check to make sure you're 13/16ths of an inch from the riser at your starting point. The issue seems kinda vaguely explained so it opens the door for a lot of potential issues that could cause it, so I would start from square 1 and verify center shot per Mathews recommendations. How's it shooting through paper and how many arrows have you put through that string?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
Hey guys. I’m not super smart on bow tuning, but I had a question about the center shot. Or I’m assuming this is what’s referred to center shot anyway. When the bow is at rest and arrow nocked, isn’t the arrow supposed to be 90 degrees? I looked at mine, which by the way was just recently set up, and it appears the arrow is pointing down rather than completely straight. Is this right or no? And if it’s not right, what effect will I be seeing?

Another thing, it appears the further I step back, the more left my arrows start to hit. All I know is my last bow, the guy was full our attention to detail and no matter how far I shot, the arrow would fly perfectly straight up and down, never fading to the left or right.

Thank you

So, the arrow pointing downhill is not centershot. Arrow pointing downhill is the height of the arrow rest.
What works for some other guy (nock 1/16th nock high) may or may not work for you. The other guy and you do not wear the same size shoe. The other guy and you do not have the same long sleeve shirt length. So, if nock 1/16th inch high works for the OTHER guy, we need to test what arrow rest HEIGHT, gives you BEST fletched group results.

So, what is centershot then? Centershot refers to the horizontal position of the arrow rest away from the riser wall. Swing the arrow rest, and arrow more left away from the riser,
or swing the arrow rest and the arrow more right, closer to the riser...this is centershot. SAme deal. What the factory recommends for horizontal (sideways) position of the arrow rest is a starting point. Generally, we want the arrow parallel to the riser wall...arrow points dead straight ahead.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the QAD rest I believe it's supposed to be nock a little high. Your shooting left could be a lot of things. Have you shot a bare shaft or shot it through paper?
I “believe” the bow was shot through paper by the bow tech, for sure wasn’t by me.

I have not shot a bare shaft to be honest. All I have is arrows that are fletched.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
I “believe” the bow was shot through paper by the bow tech, for sure wasn’t by me.

I have not shot a bare shaft to be honest. All I have is arrows that are fletched.

So, having the bow tech try on a pair of shoes for you, makes as much sense as the bow tech paper tuning YOUR BOW.
The bow has to be tuned to work in YOUR hands. Some "other" guy gets a bullet hole, just means YOUR bow has been tuned to fit the OTHER guy.
You need to shoot YOUR bow, in YOUR hands, and see what results YOU get, when YOU shoot YOUR bow.
WE tune YOUR bow, so YOU get tighter fletched arrow groups, when YOU shoot YOUR bow.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, having the bow tech try on a pair of shoes for you, makes as much sense as the bow tech paper tuning YOUR BOW.
The bow has to be tuned to work in YOUR hands. Some "other" guy gets a bullet hole, just means YOUR bow has been tuned to fit the OTHER guy.
You need to shoot YOUR bow, in YOUR hands, and see what results YOU get, when YOU shoot YOUR bow.
WE tune YOUR bow, so YOU get tighter fletched arrow groups, when YOU shoot YOUR bow.
100% understand and agree. However, like I mentioned before I don’t know much about tuning a bow. That’s why I had the shop do it . But it wasn’t until after I got it set up that I read about what goes on with a bow tune, and when I really started questioning mine.

My bows prior to this one I was the one doing the shooting when it came to the paper tune, so I’m not sure why the bow tech did it. Maybe he just was hurrying to get it done? I’m not sure. But knowing this, I’m now starting to question the rest of the set up. I’m seriously considering taking it in to a place that’s an hour away but great reviews. See if maybe they can look everything over.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My halon 6 likes to run about a 16th of an inch nock high. Bottom of the arrow passing through the Berger hole. If left impact is an issue, check to make sure you're 13/16ths of an inch from the riser at your starting point. The issue seems kinda vaguely explained so it opens the door for a lot of potential issues that could cause it, so I would start from square 1 and verify center shot per Mathews recommendations. How's it shooting through paper and how many arrows have you put through that string?

Oh ya second part of your question, I would estimate ~150?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh ya second part of your question, I would estimate ~150?

That's something else that COULD alter nock height that you you should watch for. As said by others above all these possible issues could be subject to variation for everyone, but I've seen a lot of the strings I shoot stretch to where I need to retune out to 500 or so shots. Most cases, while your left and right may stay mostly unchanged, your nock point will climb as your string stretches. Keeping up with the changes in tune due to string stretch is a good way to understand tuning of a bow. If you find out what takes it out of tune, getting it back isn't nearly as cumbersome (most of the time )

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
First, I would sacrifice a couple of those fletched arrows- strip the vanes so you have two bare shafts to work with. This gives you the tools to do some diagnostic shooting down the road to figure out what is really going on- Just not enough information at the moment for anything more than speculation... Could be a sight axis issue [and yes I can change when swapping to a different bow], could be the bow isn't tuned to your form, could be a form or execution issue on your part.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

That’s what I’m thinking. That’s at rest, when you get to full draw, doesn’t the qad come up a little more? Are the two white marks on rest lined up at full draw?

·
Registered
20,645 Posts

Thank you

That's not centershot but instead nock/rest height. The majority of bows that have ever been made will shoot and tune best with the nock slightly high so the arrow is pointing a little downhill. That said, if you bring the launcher arm all the way up on your rest, it might actually be level.

Your arrows "drifting" as you shoot further distances is just your sight windage. Even a poorly flying arrow will hit a vertical line off of a compound bow if the sight is set properly. Go back to your longest distance that you can comfortably hold a group and set the windage there. Then when you step up to closer targets, you'll be even more "on". This is assuming your sight 2nd axis is leveled properly and you're not canting the bow right/left because your bubble is off.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no noticable movement of arrow when the launcher goes all the way up on the qad.
When I push the launcher all the way up, it doesn’t bring the arrow any higher.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys. One more quick question about center shot, now that I have a better understanding of it. If you are paper tuned correctly, does this generally mean your center shot is correct too?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ive never had a perfect bullet hole and a perfect center shot at distance. As in move sight to whatever range and hit the x ring. From were I sit paper just tells you your close. I just eyeball,bare shaft then line tune.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
Hey guys. One more quick question about center shot, now that I have a better understanding of it. If you are paper tuned correctly, does this generally mean your center shot is correct too?

You can have the arrow pointing decidedly crooked left or crooked right, and compensate with form and bow tuning to get your bullet hole.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts