Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 12 GT Pierce Platinum 300's from a guy and have a funny feeling something is up with them. I have a dozen of the same arrows and they measure 28.5" exactly from in of outsert to nock valley and they weight without a tip 332-333g with Blazer vanes 4 fletched. The ones I bought are also exactly 28.5" but weigh 353-359g and have AAE max stealth vanes 3 fletched. With the difference in the weight of the vanes all other things equal the ones with the AAE should be 3 g heavier than mine with the blazer vanes.

Also I noticed the ones I got have a serial number imprinted in the carbon just below the label where the ones I have had do not have that number. None of the numbers match on the ones I bought from arrow to arrow.

Is this normally on the Pierce Platinum arrows or did I just get stuck with some fakes? I asked the guy if there were weight installed but he is telling me he doesn't know anything about adding weights to arrows.

Anyone familiar with them please let me know your thoughts. I tried to call GT but they were closed by the time I called

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking closer some of them have a serial number and some don't and a couple of the ones that do the number is printed the opposite direction? Anyone that shoots these and bought from a reputable source please help me out

IMG_2873.jpg

·
Registered
220 Posts
the pierce platinum ones i have also have serial # on the carbon 29 inches 3 fletch AAE max stealth 344g with no tip they where bought from pro shop

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the pierce platinum ones i have also have serial # on the carbon 29 inches 3 fletch AAE max stealth 344g with no tip they where bought from pro shop
Thanks Kenny, I just cannot figure out how they are so far apart on weight and why the dozen I bought from him deviate 6 grains from 353-359g. And why my dozen that are spine indexed from my shop and all the same length are 20g lighter

·
Hunter of many things
12,113 Posts
Balance the arrows on something and find the balance point if they are not balanced at the same point then one may have fact weights installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Balance the arrows on something and find the balance point if they are not balanced at the same point then one may have fact weights installed.

So I balanced them and on my original ones the balance point is 13 7/8" up the shaft from the end of the outsert and on the new ones that weigh 20-27grains heavier the balance point is 13 1/8" up the shaft from the outsert

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like they have fact weights in them for more FOC
Must be. Since the weight of the vanes is 3g and I'm at an average of 23g lighter on my old ones then that would make sense that they must have the 20g weights. He said he had them ordered from a pro shop but didn't know you could add weights so I couldn't get a straight answer

·
Registered
720 Posts
The ''Made in Mexico'' stamp that is printed on the shaft may have something to do with that. I've shot GT for years but their quality control, straightness and consistency is not what it used to be since they began having their arrows manufactured in Mexico IMO.

·
Hunter of many things
12,113 Posts
I weighed one of mine that is 28-1/4” C2C and with 4 blazer vanes and NO field pt im at 342gr. The two i have left do not have a serial number on them either.

·
Vendor
2,400 Posts
Thanks Kenny, I just cannot figure out how they are so far apart on weight and why the dozen I bought from him deviate 6 grains from 353-359g. And why my dozen that are spine indexed from my shop and all the same length are 20g lighter
its likely the previous owner added 20 grains behind the inserts!

Im logged in as Tapp-Nation but I also have a log in SouthShorerat I own two online stores South Shore Archery and Tapp Nation Archery and have made gold tip arrows as well as just about any other arrow on the market.

Gold tip IMHO has gone down hill over the last few years.

·
Hunter of many things
12,113 Posts
Couldn't the inserts themselves weigh more?
The .166 id insert for GT pierce are all 20gr. For more weight you need to add FACT weights.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I know that some people get or buy several dozens shafts and cull out what they do not want and sell the cull arrows here on AT.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well they shoot straight and well so I assume they just have the fact weights in them... didn't see a made in mexico sticker on them so not sure about that. Not sure which I am liking better these or my CE Maxima Red SD's

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they shoot straight and well so I assume they just have the fact weights in them... didn't see a made in mexico sticker on them so not sure about that. Not sure which I am liking better these or my CE Maxima Red SD's 350

·
Registered
259 Posts
The ''Made in Mexico'' stamp that is printed on the shaft may have something to do with that. I've shot GT for years but their quality control, straightness and consistency is not what it used to be since they began having their arrows manufactured in Mexico IMO.
they have been made out of the country for 10ish years

·
Banned
344 Posts
I bet anything that they have a 20 grain weight in the insert! I shoot GT arrows and I've never seen more than a 2 grain difference in any given dozen.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a matter of fact I'm getting a dozen Hunter XT .300 on Friday. I'll post my finding.
Thank you sir.. I am guessing that there is a lot of glue or something in the ones that weigh more but can't see why it would be 5-6g more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts