Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
i prefer to have my hunting arrows to be at least 400 gr for elk. i shoot short arrows so thats a pretty heavy arrow for me. i think any arrow weight between 400 and 450 is ideal. some may say go heavier but i dont think its neccesary.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm using ACC's with Muzzy 3 blade 125 gr. which gives me a completed arrow weight of 427 grns. Last year this combo broke thru a rib going in and another going out on my 6x7 bull. My bow was @ 62 #s. I'm not changing a thing. Elk are tough animals and like all bowhunting it's not arrow weight but shot placement that is key to bringing one down. You've gotta get both lungs or you'll be using both of yours chasing them all over the mountains. Hope this is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Check with the state you are heading to, I went to Idaho with my wife last year and they had a 400gr minimum for elk.

I shot an ultra-tec, 65 lbs, 29.5 inch draw, with 2314's with 100gr thunderheads. Never shot at an elk, but the deer they hit barely even slow it down.

--Bob

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm shooting Easton Epics with 115 gr. 4-blade Muzzys for 410 gr total. I really like the Muzzy blade retention for elk because there is no way for the blades to come out unless the tip comes off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have hunted the past 2 seasons with a Mathews Q2XL set at 67 lbs. My arrows were xx78s 2115 at 425 grs. I also shoot Thunderhead 100's. The 2 elk taken with this setup were shot at 20 & 30 yards. Both shots were complete passthroughs and both elk went down within 50 - 75 yards.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,772 Posts
I've killed elk with 308 grain arrow
You dredged up a thread from 2003 to say you killed an elk with a 308gr arrow.....what a crock.

You trying to sell something in the classifieds and beefing up your post count?

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
You dredged up a thread from 2003 to say you killed an elk with a 308gr arrow.....what a crock.

You trying to sell something in the classifieds and beefing up your post count?
Yeah, he’s selling some arrows to fund some heavier ones :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am following as I am going on my first elk hunt in 3 years, so I am interested in others advice!

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Maybe, he meant a .308 Win...?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts