Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to have a setup where the wind is coming from your back, which is where the deer whill come from, and blowing right into the shooting lane? By the time the deer are in my shooting lane I can let the arrow fly but they'll also be in my wind for the first time.

Basically I would be hunting on the north side of the woods with a sound wind and I'd expect the deer to come from behind me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just something to think about.......say a buck is trailing a doe and he is ten or fifteen yards behind. Is she going to wind u or do u... I don't think the setup is bad unless a non target deermakes it downwind first. But then again I am no expert either....

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Every deer you opt not to shoot will wind you and alert the big boy that may be coming.........

·
Registered
844 Posts
Then again in the early phase of the rut a buck is still seeking out a doe..... if he is alone he would be done, if not then you would be done. I would get the set as high as possible and hope ur scent blows over long enough to get the trailing deer.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
It's usually the deer you don't see that you have to worry about. But, I'm always aware of what the wind is doing, and hunt accordingly.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
why not move the stand down wind another 30 yards or so and flip your stand to the opposite side of the tree?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
,,Hunting the Wind can be tuff ..And if you only have a few stands it is tougher ,,I try to hang stand say 30 yards or so in the woods ,,and walk in with wind in my face from the straight from the edge of the woods to my stand ..That way my scent is not in the woods ,,and the deer in these woods travel right by my stand going from one side to the other ..They like to be able to smell any thing in the woods as they move is my thinking .So, they move on this side of the woods with that wind ..Now ,I have a stand on the other side of the woods in case the wind is blowing that way ..I walk way out and around and come in to that stand from the other side ..In doing this my scent never blows into the woods...Now, I have had wind change on me got down walk out and around real quiet and hunted off the ground and caught deer moving ...these woods are not real wide ..I have learned a lot hunting there ...maybe, this helps ..

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I either get busted from the deer before I ever see them or I rarely get busted. I have deer downwind of me all the time and more often than not, they go on through without making any fuss. I am pretty careful about my scent though. Do everything that you can to not smell, including shower in unscented soap, wear unscented deo, keep your clothes in a sealed bag, and spray down with scent killer and you should be fine. Just because a deer is downwind doesn't mean that it is going to bust you. It is more likely but can be avoided in many circumstances. Also, try and hunt as high as you can in the tree.

I also use Trophy Blend Herd Scent-I taped a piece of yarn from it and I tie it on my stand and let it dangle in the air below me. I normally wear a scentlok suit (please don't get going on this guys, I think it helps at least some and I don't care about your thoughts on scentlok).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Scentlok my friend. If you can get better cover from your position then do your best to hide your scent. If other deer come in first they probably wont spook, just become a little more alert, unless you move to much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts