Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a good idea for a new lens design and would like to either market it, or at least profit from it in some other way such as some kind of royalty, etc.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hire a lawyer - then seek fincial backing.

·
74,535 Posts
Oxford

Would be good choice to ask. I sure think he does good job advertising archery products. Very tastefully done.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
first thing you need to do is get a pattent then you can find someone to buy or back your product pattent but you need a lawyer to represent you to see that you dont get screwed
and a company will screw you if you dont go by the book!
without a pattent anyone can steal your idea and there is nothing you can do about it.

·
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone had any actual experience with marketing a new archery product?

Didn't Pro1 come up with an improved Magnock?

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
For small ticket items don’t expect too much. If you license it out, expect about a 3% royalty payback.

Let’s say you want to do it yourself and charge $20 for it. If you want to go through the typical production and marketing channels (manufacturing, distributors, advertising, field reps, catalog deals, trade shows) expect to end up with about $2 profit for each one sold. Now estimate how many you will need to sell to make it even worth it. Also deduct your profit from your initial investment in equipment etc.

They say it may take about $100 grand and about five years for your product to get going. And that only assumes it truly satisfies a need for a ton of bowhunters. Forget the target shooter market. We are the fringe of the industry. You will need strong word-of-mouth product to make it. Whisker Biscuit is a great example of a simple idea that took off. If you have another “Whisker Biscuit” go for it. If not…best of luck.
;)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Contact/PM Nick Snook. I'll bet if anyone can help you it will be him. He's a great guy, and I bet full of ideas you can use. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Paul,
Do some searching on the internet for a generic "Non-Disclosure Agreement" and tailor it to fit your needs. This will safeguard your intellectual property so that you can discuss your idea with prospective manufacturers and not have to worry about them hearing your idea and then taking it for themselves.

·
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shooter Mike said:
Paul,
Do some searching on the internet for a generic "Non-Disclosure Agreement" and tailor it to fit your needs. This will safeguard your intellectual property so that you can discuss your idea with prospective manufacturers and not have to worry about them hearing your idea and then taking it for themselves.
Thanks Mike, just what I'm looking for... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts