Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
They were froze I wouldnt say for atleast a few year unless they are freezer burnt. I would feel safe eating them if they have been frozen the whole time

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
unless its jerky youve had that long i would toss it,jerky your dehidrateing any ways bud that back strap is most likely freezer burnt

·
Registered
699 Posts
Depends on your freezer, and how your meat was wrapped
Self defrost freezer,.. it likely isnt any good
Game will keep in a freeze longer than beef,.. fat will get a nasty flavor.
Meat wrapped in plastic wrap will last much longer
I just found a package of elk steak the elk was shot 2 1/2 years ago,.. there was some freezer burn on the thin edges,.. Trimmed the meat and it was fine

·
Embrace the suck!
7,986 Posts
I use a gamesaver...

Vacuum sealed meat lasts way longer for me than when I used to wrap it in butcher paper or put it in ziploc freezer bags. Now I eat stuff that's over a year old all the time and it's still really good. But before I started using the gamesaver I usually ended up throwing old meat away. Vacuum sealing everything is kind of a pain in the arse but it works.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
Backstraps??? Probably no good any longer. Bring them over to my place and I will get rid of them for you!! :p

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it that will kill you. However, it most likely won't be as fresh tasting as it would have been. Actually 1 1/2 years isn't that bad. I've had some that was 2 1/2 years old that wasn't bad. The only thing that can really make it bad is freezer burn, which is just dehydrating the meat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts