Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I found some back straps in my freezer. I know they are not older than 1-1/2 years. Are they still ok? When does meat expire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
They were froze I wouldnt say for atleast a few year unless they are freezer burnt. I would feel safe eating them if they have been frozen the whole time

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
unless its jerky youve had that long i would toss it,jerky your dehidrateing any ways bud that back strap is most likely freezer burnt

·
Just Do It.....
30,219 Posts
Defrost and look at it. It should be red, not brown.
If its brown-:thumbs_do.

marty

·
Registered
699 Posts
Depends on your freezer, and how your meat was wrapped
Self defrost freezer,.. it likely isnt any good
Game will keep in a freeze longer than beef,.. fat will get a nasty flavor.
Meat wrapped in plastic wrap will last much longer
I just found a package of elk steak the elk was shot 2 1/2 years ago,.. there was some freezer burn on the thin edges,.. Trimmed the meat and it was fine

·
Embrace the suck!
7,676 Posts
I use a gamesaver...

Vacuum sealed meat lasts way longer for me than when I used to wrap it in butcher paper or put it in ziploc freezer bags. Now I eat stuff that's over a year old all the time and it's still really good. But before I started using the gamesaver I usually ended up throwing old meat away. Vacuum sealing everything is kind of a pain in the arse but it works.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
Backstraps??? Probably no good any longer. Bring them over to my place and I will get rid of them for you!! :p

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it that will kill you. However, it most likely won't be as fresh tasting as it would have been. Actually 1 1/2 years isn't that bad. I've had some that was 2 1/2 years old that wasn't bad. The only thing that can really make it bad is freezer burn, which is just dehydrating the meat.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You'll know when you thaw it out and smell it. Until them, everyone is just guessing. 5milesback is right, it won't kill you even if it is bad. But, it sure won't taste good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts