Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, shot a buck and made a poor shot. Arrow went through liver and guts and I made the decision to back out. Found and gutted him the following morning about 17 hours later. After skinning the deer the meat is a very light colored red. Low temp that night was about 34. The meat was still warm when we gutted and skinned it and I don't know when the deer died. Is this meat still edible? I believe a picture would help but I can't get them to upload.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
The meat is fine. The only parts I would avoid is anything that gut material touched.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's fine, the meat is probably lighter than normal because of the extended bleed time, more blood came out of the meat before the heart stopped beating.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
as long as it doesn't smell I would think it should be good

·
Registered
735 Posts
it was cold enough. like was said, just check were the guts and stuff got it, if it was still warm i dont think it was dead that long

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anything under 40 degrees and you'll be ok with that. Like everyone else said, wouldn't eat the parts touched by the gut material touched.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use to build barns for a guy and we went on this one job, it was during early bow season nice and warm out probably 70 degrees out. The guy we was building a barn for shot a deer, and left it hanging for 3 or 4 days. We came back one morning and the deer was gone never thought much about it. I just thought he had thrown the deer out or something. We was about done with the barn and he comes out says he has some food for us for lunch. We get about half way through lunch and my boss asked what the meat. He told us it was the deer he killed about a month ago. We never got sick besides after I heard that it was that deer.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news he tastes great! Backstrap and eggs for breakfast

·
Custom callmaker
3,473 Posts
It will be fine. The color of meat changes with the condition of the deer ever notice the color change of pre and post rut bucks? Also the stress of the animal at death also plays a role in the color of meat, I can't remember exactly but beef gets dark and pork gets lighter in color but this also is determined by the length of stress of the animal as well. I learned this at our carcass contest this past year for our fair, presented by Professor from UW Madison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts