1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never shot with them so far.

1. Are they reliable?
2. What brands are the most reliable?

I guess I'm worried about them not opening at the moment of truth.

-Walkman

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You might get more responses if you post this thread in the bowhunting section also.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I had the very same concerns last season so I spent a few bucks and bought a few packs of some different brands and did some reading before buying any of them. When it was all said and done, I found that I preferred the Rocky Mountain Revolutions. The collar slides back forcing all three blades to open on impact. The tip was capable of taking a lot of abuse too. I shot them through some plywood too just to see how much they could take and I did it a few times with the same broadhead and it worked flawlessly each time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Walkman, which mechanical you shoot depends on how much kenetic energy your gettin from your setup. I had heard good reports on the rocket steelheads, for lower kenetic energy bows.
I went from muzzys to steelheads last fall, and I was really impressed with their performance. I was shootin a golden eagle splitfire 36 pullin 65 lbs with only 50 ft lbs of kenetic energy. I got complete pass throughs on 2 deer and would have a 3rd if not for a glancin hit. one of the pass throughs was on a doe at 25 yds.
these little mechanicals are tough, but only have a 1 1/8" cuttin diameter. the larger cuttin heads like the 1 1/2" cut rocket sidewinders, would require more kenetic energy.
so it depends on how much k/e your gettin from your bow that will determine which mechanical you can shoot. :)

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I have never had a problem with Spitfires. They are super tuff. Open every time and you don't have to worry about those little rubber bands. They are the only broadhjead I will use.:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, y'all . This is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes they are reliable,I have seen everything from bears to a Water buffalo taken with mechanicals,they dont penetrate as good as a fixed blade but they make up for that in assured shot placment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts