Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had a quick question about new arrows.

If I decided to go to a completely different brand/model of arrow, same spine, would anything on the bow have to be re-tuned? Obviously, I don't work on my own stuff or do any tuning. Would it have to re-paper tuned?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
250 Posts
Two answers. First is yes minor changes might need to be made to your bow. Second is based on your question and statements I am going to guess that like me you will not be able to tell the difference.
Dale

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you stay with the same diameter arrow, you shouldn't have to do much. That being said, I double check tune if I change anything just to be sure.

Paper tuning at a few distances would be the minimum to make sure nothing off. 6', 15' and 10 yards works well.Bare shaft through paper at the same distances. Then at 20 yards with fletched and bare shafts in a group no paper is even better.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I always re tune with new arrows and I also check my tune every 3 months or so. Or at least before and after each hunting season. But if you get new arrows you may need to tweak some stuff. If they are exactly the same weight with same fletching and same degree helical twist you should be okay theoretically. But it never hurts to check. You’ll wish you did if you miss the buck of a lifetime cause you didn’t check the tune.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Same diameter too? I would shoot a fletched and a bare shaft at 20 yards to see if you are actually tuned, paper is only a starting point.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

If I get new arrows, maybe it’ll be best if I just stick with the same ones I’m currently shooting. They’ve been just fine for me anyway. Was thinking of getting custom arrows done, so maybe I’ll stick with the same arrows and just have the fletching/nock/wraps customized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
Yes, and it would be beneficial for you to learn how to tune your own bow. You're the one who's shooting it and the arrows, not the shop Tech.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yes, and it would be beneficial for you to learn how to tune your own bow. You're the one who's shooting it and the arrows, not the shop Tech.
may videos on tuning
i would say "yes" to just double check the tune. if diameter is same i would expect little to no change assuming the same stiffness is same, but sometimes it does change.

my victory to gold tip same diameter had like no change really, but i did check it

·
Registered
51,108 Posts
Yes, no, maybe! Probably nothing major if they are close to each other. More likely a sight adjustment. Rule of thumb, make a change any change recheck everything.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. A question I forgot to ask, if there is a change, what change would I see? Would it be a change in the paper tune? Again, I dont tune my stuff, so this may be a dumb question to some. If a change happened, what adjustments are made? Is it the rest that would have to be adjusted? Something on the string?

Thanks!

·
Registered
51,108 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. A question I forgot to ask, if there is a change, what change would I see? Would it be a change in the paper tune? Again, I dont tune my stuff, so this may be a dumb question to some. If a change happened, what adjustments are made? Is it the rest that would have to be adjusted? Something on the string?

Thanks!
Refer to the post above yours, #10. You asking a question that would be impossible to give a correct answer. Need to know what you presently shoot(specs) and what you would go to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts