Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I know the answer already, but I just would like to confirm it. Anyone who is experienced in setting up LX's...

I have a friend that is buying an LX. he is a 28.75 draw length. I know in order to get to the 28.75, I can advance a 28.5 cam (twist the cable) and lengthen the draw to 28.75 on a Max/Max 2 cam. Can I do this also with the HP cam on an LX?

Thanks for any info.

·
NC ASA Director
35,916 Posts
Just an idea,

you might be able to put an ever so slightly smaller diameter draw stop on the cam and get the extra draw.

I believe this would work quit well for the 1/4" you are trying to get.

Just an idea! ;)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sagecreek,

Thanks for the idea, and I will definitely consider that.

Can I twist and untwist the cable to fine-tune the draw length also?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
That's what I did. I needed a 26 3/4" draw so I ordered my bow with ther 26 1/2" 65% cam and put the cam on the 27"80% position and twisted the cable until I got the right draw length.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
A 1/4 of play is very doable with cable/string twists and also with dloop and or realease tweaking.

There is a very good test article by Norb Mullaney in the new Bowhunting World where he talks about the LX and even mentions the fact that he personally would play with the diameter of the draw stop to get his exact draw length.

He seems very excited about the LX and even calls it a benchmark of sorts in a couple areas. On dynamic efficency he actually says "This establishes a new level of excellence for this criterion among my test records." I have always liked his tests because he actually lets you know how he tested the bow and does not just spout what the manufactorer told him like so many other test columns seem to do.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info so far Two Questions...

1.Shooter Mike, I am a bit confused. You put the cam on 27" (80%) and twisted the cable to get to 26.75? Twisting the cable generally lengthens the draw. Does twisting the cable on the HP cam have the opposite effect than on the Max Cams? Twisting the cable on Max Cams lengthens the draw length, not shorten it.

2. In terms of adjusting the size of the draw stop...Does Mathews sell different size draw stops, or will I have to get something from another manufacturer? Or, is the screw off-set on the draw stop post where actually turning the stop would put the stop in a different position? Kind of like the new thumb barrel on Carter releases.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Ooops Sorry - should have been more specific; twisting is twisting to me. I lengthened the cable by UNtwisting it. The cable is much easier to work with than messing with the string. Once you get the peep set, I feel that it's best to leave the string alone.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Here's a thought for different sized draw stops. Buy a bunch of washers in differet diameters and put some heat shrink over them, experiment with different diameters until you get the right one.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea with the washers. Unfortunately, I don't have an LX in front of me to see how the cam is. I have shot one a few times, but paid no attention to the make up of the cam. I am well versed with the max cams and adjusting them, but wasn't sure if the configuration of the HP cam was any different.

My friend was trying to decide what draw length to get and I just wanted to confirm my suspecions. I also am a 28.75 draw length. I usually order cams at 28". I put a 1/2 loop on the bow and twist the cable to get the additional 1/4 inch. I would rather order a cam too short, that I can make up with a string loop. Too long, and I am stuck with it. I have also found that advancing the cam (twisting the cable) picks up a few FPS, where as ******ing the cam rotation (untwisting the cable) slows things up a bit. That is why I go shorter and I wanted to know if the HP cam was the same configuration as the Max Cam so that I could do the same thing on his. Didn't want to wait until the bow was in my hand and find out he ordered the wrong draw length.

Thanks to all for the info!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I do the same thing - order the smaller and shorten the cable and add the loop. With the LX though, my personal opinion is that it feels better and holds better on the 80% position, which is a 1/2" longer on the draw. I ordered the 26.5"/65% 27"/80% cam and it was dead on 26.5" out of the box, which I know is a rarely the case. I've always shot 65%, but this bow just holds better at 80%. If I would have known that, I would have ordered the bow with a 80% setting at 26.5" and shortened the cables to get my 26 3/4" draw length. If you need me to, I can snap a pic of the cam so you can see what I'm talking about. Just let me know.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Crusher you are on the right track..

Just finished setting up my new LX, the rubber bumper that was on my draw stop was taken off( I wanted a more solid wall feel). This gave me a little extra draw plus a little more letoff. It's on the 65% hole and now it's around 68%.

The HP cam is just like the max cams, twist the cable lenthen the draw, untwist the cable shorten the draw.

If anyone takes the bumper off, consider wrapping the pin with a thin piece of moleskin, to keep the noise down.

Bart Shortall

·
Registered
605 Posts
30" draw +?

I have a 31" draw and sometimes I like the feel of 30.5" better. Can I get 30.5" draw from a 30" LX without hurting it's performance? I've talked to some guys and they said I couldn't do it without really hurting the performance of the bow. They said the cam won't be where it should be and I would lose alot of speed.
What do you guys with experience in this think or know? Thanks for your answers. I'm really wanting to get a LX if I can get the draw legnth I need.
Kodiak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wore my draw stop rubber out went to napa and purchased a piece of rubber hose don't know if it was gas line or vacuum hose it is slightly smaller and harder than original bumper lengthened the draw length slightly and made a really nice back wall

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tuckarch and Shooter Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation. That is what I figured, but just wanted to make sure it was correct.

I have the bow, tried it and all seems to work. Twisted the cable and got to the 28.75 without any problem. I actually got more than that, and took out some of the twist I orginally put in.

Kodiak,

Advancing the cam will not hurt the performance. This is what I do on my Max 2 cams with all my bows. I actually pick up speed by adding twists to the cable. This is what I did with the LX too. I got the extra draw length and didn't seem to hurt performance. I didn't chrono it, but all seems fine. I would go with the 30" You can also order the bow in 30.5 inch as far as I know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bart,
How do like your new LX compered to your previous bows?
I also removed my rubber draw stop bumper and replaced it with a piece of shrink tube to give it a more solid wall and gain a little draw length.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Bowmike

I like the new LX, so far the only difference I've noticed in comparison has to do with holding.
It wasn't a problem to get the other brand's to hold well, but it seemed like if my draw length was off a hair, you would see a little movement. Usually it would be something I did wrong like lean back during the shot or whatever. With the LX, It seems like the draw length isn't as critical for holding(It still has to be correct thought) just not as fine tuned as the other brands.

I'm still experimenting with it thought, trying different amount of mass weight, etc.

It hasn't been grouped yet, I can't wait to see how well it groups because when you start pulling, the pin just locks up tight..

So far so good.
:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts